HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Security-six (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/382270-security-six.html)

Jenks 06-16-2013 05:38 AM

Security-six

I am looking at a used stainless Security-six in .357 with a 4 in barrel. It appears to be in very good condition. I have "Googled" the gun and read up on its history and read some reviews. It seems to be a decent gun. Also, I am tired of waiting for a SP-101 with the 4 inch barrel. I want it for home defense and to take in a vehicle if I think I need to, informal shooting, etc. I am not into conceiled carry.

Some of you must have one of these, let me know what you think about them. Is $400 or so reasonable? Thanks

Sheridan 06-16-2013 09:03 AM

Rugers' are "over-built".

I've had a Security Six in .357 since 1975.

Still tight as a drum and still shoots great !

I have put some Hogue grips on it in the last 5 years.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...x&cPath=27_115

bronko22000 06-16-2013 02:06 PM

The Security Six is another one of Ruger's solid designs. You shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Jenks 06-16-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Since I posted I have read more reviews and threads from other sites about the "Six". They seem to have a cult following, altho some guys don't care for them. This one has Pachmeyer rubber grips. Everything seems good and tight on it, hardly any cylinder play, good lockup, nothing sloppy. I am afraid that I am going to have to buy it. It is cheaper then a new 4 inch SP101 which is hard to find in my neighborhood. It is somewhat lighter then the GP100, and I am not crazy about the looks of the GP100 or any gun with the ejector rod shield extended to the end of the barrel. Thanks again.

Steve F.in MD 06-16-2013 07:07 PM

I had one of the early models. I wish I still had it. Don't let it get away.

Jenks 06-17-2013 12:23 PM

I am now the proud owner of a Security-six. I had to pay more for it then I wanted but I owed the seller for other considerations. It is a beautiful gun, has a little paint wear on the rear sight, some very light handling marks but that is it. The bore and cylinder look great. Maybe $500 wasn't too much after all. They are built solid, not the lightweight beauty of a S&W. I picked up some 38 Specials to give it a try, I think I may have some .357's around somewhere. I have a few old Super Vels, but I am not going to shoot those. Thanks for the advice, no buyers remorse here.

Sheridan 06-17-2013 06:25 PM

Congrats !

Mine actually shoots .357 rounds better than .38 specials.

Go have some fun.............!!!

Jenks 06-20-2013 03:34 AM

Shoots sweet!!!! Why did they ever quit making these???

RobertSubnet 06-28-2013 08:34 AM

They are built solid, not the lightweight beauty of a S&W.
Congrats on the purchase. I just bought a "Police Service Six" 2 days ago - it is going to be my "its coming right for us" gun. I actually prefer Ruger's for their beefiness when compared to S&W.

Jenks 06-30-2013 05:16 AM

Robert--I also am a fan of Rugers. The designs seem to be well thought out and they are built to last. They don't seem to be finished as well as Colt or S&W, but well enough for me. I do like their heft and ability to handle almost anything that you can put into the chamber. They are working class guns. Colt and S&W guns are often things of beauty intended for the gentlemen among us. If a congressman or a parson had cause to carry, I think they would choose a S&W or a Colt.
Congrats on the Service Six. I hope you like it as well as I do my new gun. Sheridan said that his shoots .357 better then it shoots 38's. I have not shot any .357's yet, I will try a few sometime. I will probably only keep a few .357's around, just in case. I will mostly shoot cheaper 38's and keep some +P's for more serious needs. A speed loader full of .357's and another with +P's kept with the gun seems reasonable. These are great old guns, too bad Ruger moved on.