Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Youth Shotgun/ Girls gun ? >

Youth Shotgun/ Girls gun ?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Youth Shotgun/ Girls gun ?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
I had the Rossi 3-barrel combo with the 20 Gauge single-shot shotgun and it kicked like a Mule and that was for me just sighting it in I'd hate to see a Young Youth Hunter try to handle one!

Buy a Nice Remington,Browning or Mossberg 20 Gauge and learn Your Girl to shoot and handle it!Some shorter Guns will cause more recoil for a Younger Hunter,some times a heavier longer Gun is better and simply let them hunt in a Blind or keep a good pad or rest handy for them to use!
My 12 year old niece has a Rossi single shot in .410 and she loves it. Its a really pretty gun also, stainless with a synthetic stock. She does prefer her Winchester .22lr though.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
I had the Rossi 3-barrel combo with the 20 Gauge single-shot shotgun and it kicked like a Mule and that was for me just sighting it in I'd hate to see a Young Youth Hunter try to handle one!

Buy a Nice Remington,Browning or Mossberg 20 Gauge and learn Your Girl to shoot and handle it!Some shorter Guns will cause more recoil for a Younger Hunter,some times a heavier longer Gun is better and simply let them hunt in a Blind or keep a good pad or rest handy for them to use!
My 8 year old daughter that weighs all of 50#'s seems to handle her Rossi 20g just fine...granted, it does seem to kick a tad more than my Remington 870 in 20g...but not that much more.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fit of the length of pull will play a big role is shooting comfort, as will be the weight. A relatively light weight single shot shotgun will absorb less of the recoil energy than a heavier gun ... but the heavier would likely be more difficult for your daughter to manage. A single shot will definitely be the least cost entry level hunting set-up suitable for deer sized game. Be sure to go for a rifled barrel.That will allow you to use sabot type sougs, which will be lethal at much longer a distance than a smooth bore/rifled slug combo.

If there is a question as to whether or not she will take to hunting, I'd recommend an inexpensive 20 ga. single shot for now. You can cut the stock and add a good recoil pad to fit your daughter's length of pull. Keep the "spacer" and replace it as she grows.

If she really gets into hunting, or you are sure now that she will ... and if shotguning is the only option up that way, then you could buy her now or move up later to a good quality pump.

Last edited by Mojotex; 08-20-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

And if recoil is a huge issue, go with an auto-loader.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Browning BPS micro is a great gun for a small framed hunter.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .410 Shotgun isn't going to be too bad....I was shooting 3" Turkey loads in my Daughters .20 Gauge Rossi and I had a black and blue shoulder after 3 rounds!!!! Yikes

Guess I'm a Light Weight....?We ended up using my old Mossberg 20 Gauge bolt-action instead.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO a .410 is the worst gun there is to start a newbie kid or lady with! The pattern is more for someone with lots of experience and it is definitely not a gun I'd be putting slugs in for a newbie to wound a deer with.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice got her a Mossberg 500 2 barrels fits her great
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Remington is listing an 870 combo with adjustable length stock--shims-- in 20 gauge...it comes with a cantilevered rifled barrel (for sabot slugs...try the Hornady SSTs) and a Rem-choked vent-rib barrel with a modified tube...it has a 3" chamber so it is capable of being used for a long time...

My son has a Rossi "pair" in .22 LR and .410 shotgun...I love that little gun...but after firing a 3" Remington #6 shot through the modified shotgun barrel, my son told me he preferred either my Remington 870 LW Magnum 20-gauge or my Remington 1100 12-gauge to the very light .410...to him that .410s recoil was more significant than even the autoloading 12...

The post also mentioned deer hunting...if that is the most important consideration, you should not go with anything smaller than a 20 gauge.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bought my daughter a Remington 870 Youth in a 20ga. She still has it after 7 years and has killed a number of turkeys with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.