Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hand gun advise?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

No hand gun is going to be cheap. I bought my wife a Judge 45-410 3"mag for home defense. She loads the first two chambers with pdx and 45s in the next three chambers. She also has a Colt cobra snub nose 38 special that she loves. She carries either a Smith and wesson bodyguard 380, Taurus 709 slim 9mm, or a keltec 32. She does not like recoil and none of the above guns bother her to shoot. For the money, the Taurus 709 slim is a heck of a gun. It is built just like a Glock , with double strike capability, and is one of my best shooting 9mms. I paid $270.00 for it last summer.

When i carry, i carry a Beretta px storm sub compact in 40, or a colt 1911 45. I like the Beretta because it has a 10 round mag, small for a 40, and has double stike capability. I also have a imi uzi eagle in 40 which is a swwwweeeet shooter. I carry it some times. I have a couple of Glocks but do not bow at the Glock alter. They are good guns, but for the price they should not need to be aftwr marketed. I also like a second strike capability with a self defense gun and Glocks are single action only.

I have to agree with others about a revolver. For protection, a revolver cant be beat. No worries about user error with a revolver. That is why my wife keeps the judge by the bed. That and the buck shot in the first two chambers gives a nice secure feeling.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 10-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Spike

I have 2 semi auto's and while my wife is capable of shooting them both, I'm committed to getting a more compact hammerless revolver for her to carry. It's just as useful, but with less chance for issues. If she were to carry it in her purse and need to fire from there, the simplicity of the revolver makes it more likely that attempt and any follow up shots would be successful (less chance for junk to get into action).

I shoot a 9mm Springfield XD sub compact and 40 cal Beretta PX4 storm. My wife doesn't mind practicing with 9mm, but she's not a fan of the 40 because of additional recoil.

Good luck in your search. There are a lot of great options available at a reasonable price. Check budsgunshop dot com.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a revolver also. I like the S&W 642 38 SPL. no bells, no whistles but will do the job in the heat of the moment.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

So what did you get? Don't leave everybody hanging.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
If it comes to self protection nothing beats a double action revolver for those that are not that well versed in handgun shooting. You don't have to keep it locked and cocked. You don't have to take a safety off before firing. You don't have to extensively know the mechanics of the firearm to clear a jam or malfunction.

All a person with novice experience has to do with a double action revolver in the heat of the moment is pull the trigger. Simplicity can save your life. All these concealed carry instructors promoting semi auto's over revolvers to non experienced shooters have never been down that road themselves.

S&W .38 special Lady Smith would be my suggestion for your wife. Unless she's Jessie Duff.
++1. Simple no brainer. A plus with a .357 is the ability to practice with lighter (and less expensive) loads of .38 and keep it at the house with .357.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Landngroove
A Ruger LCR in .38 special. Simple to use, and will get the job done.
Since this thread pertains to a woman shooter and defensive shooting, I'd highly recommend that any woman considering an LCR, even in .38spcl, goes and test fires one first. "Hyper light" revolvers, even in .38spcl, can be pretty severe in the recoil department. The LCR isn't bad, but I've had several women resell LCR's after a short time because they couldn't handle the recoil for practice. The .38spcl/.357mag SP-101 (about the same size and grip, but twice the weight) is usually what they end up getting.

I'm prone to believe in the adage: 10 hits from a 22lr are better than 7 misses from a 45acp. Shoot what you can handle well, and make sure you can handle it before you drop money into a defensive pistol.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I'm prone to believe in the adage: 10 hits from a 22lr are better than 7 misses from a 45acp.
+1

They don't call it a "hand" gun for nothing' !

You'll know it's the ONE when you handle it ..................
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Spike

I carry a G23 and SA XDs .45. My Xds after the recall is an awesome CC firearm. It is small, It's shoots all day, accurate, and It's a 45. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a ruger sp101 in 357 mag? Cabelas has them listed in your price range in snubbies through 4.2" barrels. A few 38 specials and the padded grips ought to be easy enough to handle. They can be concealed if you decide to go that route.

Everything I've read or seen on them is excellent and positive.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105527880

Edit: just noticed the original post date. It seems I'm more than a bit late.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 12-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by medic242
So I am normally in the archery or deer hunting forums. I need some help. I have a handful of shot guns and a rifle but I do not have a hand gun. I have my eye set on a couple but would like some advise. I want something that the wife can shoot as well. I work 24hr and 12hr shifts so I want something she can use and I want something that wont cost a arm and leg to shoot. leaning toward a 9mm. But if you guys could tell me what you guys shoot and why that would be great. I do have a budget and am looking to stay around $600-$700 Any help will great.
You have a huge range of options, I have both Glock 19 And S&W M&P 9mm in compact, then a M&P 40 range kit. Here in MA you can pick up a new range kit that comes with Full size M&P 9mm-40sw-45acp extra mags range holster and carry case for all of it for about $579. This is a steal and great gun. I wanted to see how long it would fire without cleaning before it jammed and got to the point of being i just hated it was filthy i put so many rounds through it i lost count. Still shoots very accurate after thousands of rounds. (this is the m&p9c) From what it sounds like you'll have it in a drawer at home for her not a carry pistol. The full size M&P9mm would be perfect the recoil is manageable for her plus the full size makes it easier to handle, another advantage is the grips are changeable with a basic slip off. takes about 45sec to change and you can adjust from small,med and large. You can accommodate a comfortable grip for her and you. If not wanting a full range kit you can buy 2 for under 700 used. One for her and home and one for you. GL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.