Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hand gun advise?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most importantly, handguns HAVE TO fit "your" hand !
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
If it comes to self protection nothing beats a double action revolver for those that are not that well versed in handgun shooting. You don't have to keep it locked and cocked. You don't have to take a safety off before firing. You don't have to extensively know the mechanics of the firearm to clear a jam or malfunction.

All a person with novice experience has to do with a double action revolver in the heat of the moment is pull the trigger. Simplicity can save your life. All these concealed carry instructors promoting semi auto's over revolvers to non experienced shooters have never been down that road themselves.

S&W .38 special Lady Smith would be my suggestion for your wife. Unless she's Jessie Duff.
You make a good point concerning the simplicity of a D/A revolver for SD. As I'm sure you are aware though, there are several semi auto's that don't have to be carried "cocked and locked" and don't have external manual safeties, such as Glock, Sig, & Kahr.

I know some who find the recoil of lightweight revolvers uncomfortable and therefore they don't practice like they should. I do agree they are simple to use, rarely malfunction and should be considered by anyone wanting a firearm for SD.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Spike

I strongly agree with the Glock 17 or 19. Or similar semi auto Handguns. I will use Glock for example because that is what both my wife and I carry.
All of the features making the DAR a good choice are still positive features with the Glock. Point and shoot. Finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Pretty easy stuff.
I would argue that the slide and reload procedures for a Glock is actually less complicated to learn than the cylinder/ hammer/ reload than for a revolver.
Reloading is way more effective with the auto with less movement and less need to reload. Accuracy, I feel the Glock is much easier to shoot accurately than a revolver in Double action.
The G 19 would be perfect if she get the latest generation grip size is a non-issue.
My Glocks have been as reliable as any revolver meaning never a failure to function.
Mag. Capacity and the ability to reload are important features to me when outfitting my wife for self defense.
For people who have "not been down that road before " the Glock is safe and easy to learn handgun. They are a much much more effective self defense tool.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I tend to carry a Glock 26 in 9mm for self-defense (because of its really small size)... My wife did NOT like it (which surprised me...she really liked my Colt Commander .45 ACP, which she said fit her hands better)...so have her handle a bunch...

I would also recommend a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum (my wife did not like any of my revolvers either...said they looked ugly ???)...

All of that said...my wife was wickedly accurate with my Colt 45 auto...
Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it comes to self protection nothing beats a double action revolver for those that are not that well versed in handgun shooting. You don't have to keep it locked and cocked. You don't have to take a safety off before firing. You don't have to extensively know the mechanics of the firearm to clear a jam or malfunction.
There's quite a bit of truth here. Autos can be complex, particularly when they malfunction. A revolver is much simpler to operate and maintain.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since this is a February post, you may have already made your decision, but I'll weigh in my 2 cents for your question:

Considering that your original thread mentions basically only home defense, and some pleasure shooting, then I recommend you look for something that is a master at defensive action, but not a mule for pleasure/practice shooting. (Unless you're ONLY referring to your practice shooting for defensive practice, rather than the simple joy of going out and burning powder).

For a defensive handgun, and considering that you and your wife will both be using it, you really need to go out and handle a lot of pistols to find one that fits and feels good for BOTH of you to shoot. My wife, for example, is a double distinguished Expert pistol shooter. She HATES shooting my Glock 9mm's. The only 9mm she doesn't really complain about shooting is her Springfield EMP. On the other hand, she favors 40's and 45's. She LOVES her SR-40C and her Springfield Micro Compact .45acp (used to be mine, sadly). The love over her life is a Ruger SP-101 .357mag, engraved Talo Edition.

Manual safeties and single action hammers are a terrible plan for a defensive pistol. You want a simple pistol or revolver that minimizes the time and functions required between "oh $hit" and "bang" as possible.

My wife and I both carry Ruger SP-101's regularly. Something to look at if you're interested in wheelguns. We both also carry SR's, mine an SR9, hers an SR40c.

Ultimately, again, you need to handle a lot of appropriate defensive handguns together and try to find a place where you can shoot them (lots of indoor ranges have rentals).
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am an old guy so I agree with Blackelk and others that suggest a revolver. A good .357 like the SP101 is small, simple and does not fail to shoot when the trigger is pulled. Too many auto's will "stovepipe" or jam ever now and then. Also, you can get used to the gun with some low powered .38's and have it stoked with some +P's or .357's for the real thing. I do not keep .357's in my "house gun", if I had to shoot one of them in the house it would cause some serious hearing damage. I have auto pistols, but I use revolvers for serious work.
My dau-in-law wanted something for protection in her house, my son was overseas. I gave her a three inch five shot revolver in .38 and a couple of pepper sprays. I told her to use the pepper spray first, if possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it comes to self protection nothing beats a double action revolver
Great advice but I would still get the 9mm. If it's for your wife, I'd get a Taurus Model 905 9mm revolver. It's easy for her to shoot and clean. If you can find one Smith and Wesson makes a great 9mm revolver.

If I were going to get a semi-auto, I'd get a Beretta 92FS. In my opinion, it's a ton better than any other semi-auto 9mm on the market. (for a decent price) I can't believe how accurate they are at very long distances.

My wife and I both shoot a Taurus 905 and the Beretta 92fs. If anything happened to me, she would stick to the Taurus because of how easy it is to clean and shoot.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Spike

S&W 642 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I bought my wife and sister each one from the Guns America site for $525.00 on sale from a gun shop in SD. Great deal-locally a blue 2" Hammerless Smith was "on sale" for $649 with standard grips! Ammo is cheap for practice and SD loads for 38 Special are very good today and easily handled by women. A 9mm round is fairly intense in a small frame gun and a 40 or 45 is very hard to control in a small frame gun. Slide manipulation can also be a problem for women.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

A Ruger LCR in .38 special. Simple to use, and will get the job done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.