Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hand gun advise?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default Hand gun advise?

So I am normally in the archery or deer hunting forums. I need some help. I have a handful of shot guns and a rifle but I do not have a hand gun. I have my eye set on a couple but would like some advise. I want something that the wife can shoot as well. I work 24hr and 12hr shifts so I want something she can use and I want something that wont cost a arm and leg to shoot. leaning toward a 9mm. But if you guys could tell me what you guys shoot and why that would be great. I do have a budget and am looking to stay around $600-$700 Any help will great.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

9mm is a good choice. I bought my wife a Taurus 9mm a few years ago for Christmas. (She picked it our of course) LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I suggest a Glock 17 or 19. Both are in your price range.

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g17gen4

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g19

Last edited by Nimrodder; 02-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Spike

If you are looking at concealed carry, the Glock 26 is a 9mm compact. Also fits well in a woman's hand. You would have to deal with the issues of a semi-auto malfunctioning. If you want to do away with that, a small 38 like a S&W Airweight works well. 5 shots and will go bang with each pull of trigger. It is really a matter of personal preference though. Go to a store and handle each and see what you and she likes.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with going to a shop and handling a few along with your wife. I prefer the 40 S&W myself over the 9mm(and the .45 ACP is even better). But the 40 may be a bit much for your wife to handle. Also what do you want it for? Occasional shooting and home defense or everyday carry. Glocks are OK but again my personal choice is the Smith and Wesson M&P line. I have an M&P40 in both the full size and the compact versions. Both are reliable and accurate.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Springfield XD (wish it was a XDM, CA. restricted) 9mm tactical 5" barrel with tritium sights (10 round mag, CA. restricted).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Spike

I'll second the XD...However, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to go fondle and shoot a few different models in your price range and choose what feels the best to YOU. You can ask for suggestions all you want but the biggest factor is how it fits and feels to you. Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've carried Glocks (9mm, 40 & 45) most of my career and they are in your price range. Most women will prefer the lesser recoil of a 9mm.

I agree with taking your wife to a gun store and letting her handle different pistols to see what she feels comfortable with. She may actually prefer a small revolver instead of a semi-auto. If your primary use for the weapon is your wife's self-defense while you're gone, it really needs to be something she is comfortable with and doesn't mind shooting. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going through the same thing right now with my wife. She has turned in her paperwork for her CC permit and is interested in a pistol. Took her shooting yesterday and found she loves the Glock 17 and was surprisingly accurate with it. She did not like my carry guns in 40 S&W. I think the Glock 19 is the perfect compromise between the full size Glock 17 and the sub compact Glock 26.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

If it comes to self protection nothing beats a double action revolver for those that are not that well versed in handgun shooting. You don't have to keep it locked and cocked. You don't have to take a safety off before firing. You don't have to extensively know the mechanics of the firearm to clear a jam or malfunction.

All a person with novice experience has to do with a double action revolver in the heat of the moment is pull the trigger. Simplicity can save your life. All these concealed carry instructors promoting semi auto's over revolvers to non experienced shooters have never been down that road themselves.

S&W .38 special Lady Smith would be my suggestion for your wife. Unless she's Jessie Duff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.