Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 barrel burner ?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Those round counts are also from rifles shooting 105-115gr match bullets. Adding more friction causing higher temps. So factor in a warm summer day, really long bullets and they have to shoot X number of rounds in a timed event, creates the number they've listed.

You also got to keep in mind that number is when they notice a loss in accuracy for benchrest competition, but for the typical shooter they'll never notice that difference.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stapher1

You also got to keep in mind that number is when they notice a loss in accuracy for benchrest competition, but for the typical shooter they'll never notice that difference.
Exactly! For benchrest guys a burnt out barrel means it went from .2 MOA to .4...most hunters would never even notice that...
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Exactly! For benchrest guys a burnt out barrel means it went from .2 MOA to .4...most hunters would never even notice that...

Yup... For me, only a hunter shooting modest ranges and recreational target shooter ... My barrel may very well be defined as 'shot out' by a bench rest shooter. But for me, the 1/2 " at 100 yards or 3-4 " at 250 yards is just fine. I can't hardly see that far anymore. Even if I was to buy top line optics I'd be hard pressed to be able to take advantage of the 300 yrd range at my club. Maybe with a whole bunch of practice and instruction I might be able to think about taking game at distances beyond 200 yards .. but for me I'm fine with what is working for me right now.

If I'm lucky I'll still be able to take the field with a gun by myself for another 15-20 years. That would be great.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

i have two Remington 700 rifles in .243. The older rifle has fired over 3,000 rounds. The first 6" of rifling is hardly visible. The gun still makes .75 inch three shot groups at 100 yards.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Spike

Hell if you got a good floated barrel and a good scope take it to the range few days before you go hunting and make sure its still on at 100 yds.Got my 243 wssm sighted in 3inches high at 100 yds can hold dead on when shooting at a deer out to 300 yds.A couple shots should show if gun is still shooting ok.No need to burn up a box of shells each time.If thats all you shoot it and maybe a shot or two killing a deer it will last forever.If I lived to be a hundred I wouldnt burn up 1500 rounds.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the nice thing about shooting the 243, you dont need alot of range time to shoot it accurately.