Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best .22 out there ??

Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old Ruger 10/22 that I refinished over the summer. It belonged to my stepfather and by the serial numbers, it was made in 1974 or 1975. I used it back then and it was very accurate. My son is using it now and it's still reliable and accurate.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by KT29
I've had a Henry .22LR for a few years now. Found it to be very well made, smooth action, very accurate shooting open sights. And a very sweet trigger.
i got one too...beautiful gun and very very smooth...got a 10/22 as well, never have had a problem with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Anschutz.......................
+1. Next choice is a Cooper Firearms Model 57-M.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say that the 10/22 is probably the most popular, and they are great guns no doubt. Not sure there is a "best" but there are some guns people favor more. I have a Sears Ted Williams (Winchester) semi-automatic that was my grandpa's (prob 50yrs old) ... not sure I could get a better one. It functions flawlessly, and is an absolute tack driver. With open sights it shoots a 1" group at 50yds on the bench, which is as good as I could expect out of any .22

My son loves shooting squirrels with it, and even beat his uncle last year in a contest using it (open sights) vs. his uncle's high dollar scoped .17 LOL

I also have a Rem 552 BDL, very nice gun, but I actually like the old gun better.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow...what a good question. I would guess it depends on what you want to use it for. If you're going to shoot competition or silhoutte the Anshutz is definately the way to go. If the competition is where speed and accuracy is required..the Ruger 10/22. And if you're going to be using it for plinking or hunting...ain't nothing wrong with the Savage .22 with Accutrigger.
The diminutive .22 is a fun gun. I think I have about 6 of them (I'd have to sit and count). You can pay less than $200 for one or over $1000. Some of the Coopers as previously posted are gorgeous rifles and will punch ragged holes in targets at 50 yds. But you pay for this dearly. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of great ones out there, and not too many bad ones.

If you want semi-auto, I would recommend the Ruger 10/22 like a lot of other guys, for all of the reasons that have already been listed.

If you want bolt-action, my Savage Mk II is the most accurate .22 I've ever had, and an all-around great rifle. It will shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards with the right ammo. I have a Marlin bolt action that has also been very good, and the accuracy is almost as good as the Savage.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Revelation Bolt Action .22 Model 115 that is a tack driver also. I traded for this back in the early 80s and didn't shoot it much until my son became interested in shooting. I have read from some that it was made by Stevens (Savage) and some where it was made by Marlin. Not sure, but it is one I definitely will hang on to.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anschutz .... man how about a tack driver. I ahve shot one at the range. And it really was a superb grouping shooter. I have an old Marlin bolt that is plenty good enough for me. It'll shoot tighter groups than I can, if that makes any sense !?!

As far as the Ruger 10/22 , as good an auto loading 22 LR. as far as grouping and reliability as I have ever seen. And I really like the way that it looks ... whcih is of no real value !?! But compared to a high quality bolt action, not even close. Just depends upon if you are really looking for "target shooting" like very tiny groups.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Ruger 10/22 and have never had any issues with it. Great price for a nice gun.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

10/22 for me. Stay 10-shot with factory clips. The aftermarket "hot lips" clips do not function properly in my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.