Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Shopping for a 9mm pocket pistol . . . >

Shopping for a 9mm pocket pistol . . .

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shopping for a 9mm pocket pistol . . .

Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Spike

Colt .38 five or ppk 9mm ? Colt have good hammer protection for pocket...
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

I just got a Beretta px4 storm compact in 40sw and it felt great to handle. The sub compact would be a nice pocket pistol in 9mm.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Kahr CW9.. good gun for the money. the S&W sheild is nice too but good luck finding one. SW won't even return my emails
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Spike

Ruger LC9 with laser or S&W M/P Shield with laser...the laser makes a huge difference!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a cz82? They are well made, have a 12 round clip and are very reasonably priced. They do shoot the 9X18 Makarov round, not that popular in the US but it compares favorably with the 380. Not near the power of the 9X19 Lugar, but still not bad for a pocket pistol. I don't have one, but I am looking.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Kind of looking myself. Read a decent review of the Beretta Nano. It's about in the same price range as some that have been mentioned. Any opinions on this one?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dig4gold
So.............I'm leaning towards 9mm, but would consider 40 S&W also. Primarily I'm looking for small, light, and not a mortgage payment.
As far as handling . . . I regularly shoot my .45 colt Redhawk one handed with +P ammo. I'm not crazy about it . . . but I can manage the recoil.
When you say "small and light," exactly how small are you talking. Are you looking for CCW or just carrying it in a belt holster? If you're looking for CCW, the method you anticipate carrying it will sometimes dictate which gun and even which caliber.

If I carry CCW in a front pocket in my slacks, I carry a Walther PPS in .380. They are very accurate guns out to 10 yards and function flawlessly.

If I carry in a gun bag worn around my waste, I can pretty much carry anything and usually have a Glock in .40 or .45. I haven't carried CCW with an inside the belt holster yet but would think a slimmer pistol (probably a semi-auto) would be the only reasonably fitting pistol for such a holster. Nowadays, I often carry a Glock 30SF in .45 caliber in a regular (outside the) belt holster with a shirt or jacket tucked over it. FWIW, this is probably the quickest drawing concealed holster setup (draw and fire 3 rounds in 2 seconds with practice).

I switched from 9mm to 40 S&W but previously carried a 9mm for a few years. 9mm's will get the job done but you get a little more terminal ballistics with a 40S&W. In general, 9mm pistols are a little narrower than 40's. If you go with a Glock, they are both the same width.

Hopefully this provides a little help or food for thought. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SingleShotNeeded
Ruger LC9 with laser or S&W M/P Shield with laser...the laser makes a huge difference!
x2 love my LC9 with laser
Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murdy
Kind of looking myself. Read a decent review of the Beretta Nano. It's about in the same price range as some that have been mentioned. Any opinions on this one?
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I like the Nano, but it does take some getting used to as it's almost a sub-sub-compact. Very tiny gun. Due to design, there are no knobs/levers on the outside of the body. Nice for concealed carry, but the gun is a pain to take apart for cleaning.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Kahr CM9 is small but shoots like a much bigger gun and it's price doesn't break the bank. It conceals well just about anywhere you want to carry it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.