HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Franchi I-12 problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/363180-franchi-i-12-problem.html)

EFH 04-27-2012 01:50 PM

Franchi I-12 problem

Hey guys, I own a franchi I-12 3" and have loved the gun until now. During this past duck season I shot and it just clicked on the shell. It only happened a few times and I thought it was the ammo. Thought it might have gotten damp or something while hunting? It happened on the first round and later after the first round was fired it happened on the following round. Now I've missed a turkey because of this and I'm sick. It dimples the primer, but not enough to make the round go off. I'm going to have to send it back. Has anyone had this problem or know what it might be? It's not from being dirty, I clean my guns after every hunt.

EFH 04-27-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3933163)
is the barrel nut tight? lock the bolt back and tighten it down, no experience with the I12 but I have a 912.
RR

Hahaha!! Man, I just checked it. I was hoping that was it, but it was tight as a drum.

Sheridan 04-27-2012 07:09 PM

Do you use snap caps ?

You need to release the tension on the firing pin during storage (once you get it repaired).

EFH 04-28-2012 04:26 PM

I think that's what's happening!! The bolts not closing all the way! What's up with that? And what is a snap cap?

Sheridan 04-28-2012 07:23 PM

"You need to release the tension on the firing pin during storage (once you get it repaired)."

Take the safety off and pull the trigger before you put it away.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SNAP801-5.html

BTW - I don't use a snap cap in my autoloader, but I do in all my other shotguns.

No need to use them with centerfire rifles, but also should use them with rimfires (i use spent shell).

To be clear - You need to release the tension on the firing pin during storage (or not - up to you)

Sheridan 05-09-2012 09:41 PM

RR,

Wow, ever had anyone talk to you about it ?

Ask around with some of the guys you hang out with; I'd love to hear what they say.

I've always done it, since I was a kid & never had a problem.

bigbulls 05-10-2012 05:26 PM

The I-12 is an inertia gun just like a Benelli M2 or SBE2. It is not a gas gun. These inertia bolts have a rotating bolt head. This bolt head must rotate itself into the locking lugs machined into the barrel extension like a bolt action rifle. If you let the bolt down slowly it will not fully rotate and lock up and you will not get the primer to ignite because the firing pin will not reach the shell. You MUST let an inertia bolt slam forward with the full pressure of the action return spring slamming it home.

If you are letting the bolt slam forward then check inside the locking lugs to make sure there is no debris preventing the bolt head from fully rotating and locking up.

FrustratedHunter 02-11-2017 04:29 PM

Resolution

Originally Posted by EFH (Post 3933151)
Hey guys, I own a franchi I-12 3" and have loved the gun until now. During this past duck season I shot and it just clicked on the shell. It only happened a few times and I thought it was the ammo. Thought it might have gotten damp or something while hunting? It happened on the first round and later after the first round was fired it happened on the following round. Now I've missed a turkey because of this and I'm sick. It dimples the primer, but not enough to make the round go off. I'm going to have to send it back. Has anyone had this problem or know what it might be? It's not from being dirty, I clean my guns after every hunt.

Hey,
Did you ever figure out the cause of this and find a solution? My I-12 just started doing this today while goose hunting. Needless to say, I'm super pissed off right now.
Thanks.

Ridge Runner 02-12-2017 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by FrustratedHunter (Post 4293937)
Hey,
Did you ever figure out the cause of this and find a solution? My I-12 just started doing this today while goose hunting. Needless to say, I'm super pissed off right now.
Thanks.

first thing to do is completely disassemble the bolt and clean it, clean bolt lugs, receiver lugs. most probably oil and grime binding the bolt up. all I heard about snap caps is you need them on rimfires and O/U and SxS shotguns due to the angled firing pins, semis have a floating pin that dry firing doesn't harm them.
RR

Oldtimr 02-12-2017 05:24 AM

Never heard of using snap caps in anything but over and unders and side by eaches. I second field stripping the gun and give it a thorough cleaning. Most problems with semi autos is dirt preventing the mechanism from working freely.