Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome! >

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

I traded a guy on the board and i got a heritage arms rough rider 22LR/22MAG 6 shot revolver with laminated grips. Oh man is this thing sweet! Balance is perfect, grip is sturdy and fills my hand well, great trigger, quality overall is great! Ive shot around 25 shots of Winchester Super X Full metal jacket 22 Magnums and this thing will print /4" groups @ 20 yards. Im just really impressed with this little pistol.

Gotta remember to keep ear plugs handy. 3 hours later my ears are still numb and ringing lol.

Hate to say it, but i had a ruger vaquero .44mag and it doesnt even come close to this quality/ accuracy of this low $$$ pistol.
I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Anyone shoot one of these?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Pardon me sir but the heritage rough rider series of handguns ain't ANYWHERE NEAR the quality of design,materials,and worksmanship. Your revolver is made from cast aluminum and cheaply made parts. While I'm glad for you that you just happened to obtain a good one,it's hit or miss wether you get a good one orlousy one.
The ruger super single six convertible is a MUCH better made revolver. Anyway,congtats on your good shootin gun.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM

All im saying is the ruger vaquero i had wasnt worth a bucket of piss This one puts it to shame.

Ive read a lot of reviews and have come across the same thing. Better than any ruger people have owned.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Took a quick look at some of these handguns at the feedstore recently when the mate spotted the pearl handle 22mag(nonpink) birds head model there.

Odd safetys...but they where on sale & fairly cheap to begin with- still may get one -sometime.

I dont think they will be replacing any of our Ruger revolvertho( redhawk,blackhawks,sp101,gp100 or single 6 in 32 mag etc )as they all work fine )

.................................................. .............................

Specifications - 22 caliber
Caliber 22 Long Rifle, 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Magnum
Cylinder Capacity 6 rounds
Weight Unloaded 33.4 ounces (6.5" model)
Barrel Lengths 3.5", 4.75" ,6.5" & 9"
Trigger Pull Approximately 6 Pounds
Barrel 1215 Steel
Cylinders 12L14 Steel
Frame Aluminum Alloy
Sights Open fixed type; Notch at Rear
Land Width .076 inch
Length of Rifling Twist 1 Turn in 14 inches RH
Land and Grooves 6
Over all Length 11.785 inches

LEGAL FOR SALE IN Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota & South Carolina

Specifications - 22 & 32 caliber Steel Frame Models
Caliber 22 long rifle, 22 short, 22 long and also 22 magnum
32 H&R Mag, 32 S&W Long, 32 S&W Long Colt
Cylinder Capacity 6 rounds
Barrel Lengths 3.5", 4.75" ,6.5" & 9" (22 cal)
3.5", 4.75",6.5" (32 cal)
Weight Unloaded 35 ounces (6.5" model)
Cylinders 12L14 Steel
Over all Length 11.785 inches ( 6.5" model )
Rifling Characteristics 22 Cal
Land Width .076 inch
Length of Rifling Twist 1 Turn in 14 inches RH
Land and Grooves 6
Rifling Characteristics 32 Cal
Land Width .108 inch
Length of Rifling Twist 1 Turn in 16 inches RH
Land and Grooves 6
Trigger Pull Approximately 6 Pounds
Barrel 1215 Steel
Frame 4140 Steel
.................................................. ............

Tho not listed there the alloy frame is also not legal in California either from what iread anyways.

Dos anyone know why only steel frame models are legal in the states mentioned- just curious why that is the case.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I've had a 6.5 inch barrel alloy frame Rough Rider for years and it shoots prettygood out to 50 yards with .22lrwhere I cansometimes hitclay pigeons or come close trying.
I like the sights and the hammer block safety switch a lot (it's kid friendly),which was the reason that I bought itbeside the low price.
Some of the issues are:
1. The cylinder locks up after loadingwhen I advance from half-cock.Ineed to slightly advance the cylinder by hand before fully cocking to prevent it from locking up...or else I have to remove the cylinder pin and cylinder to free it up. But usually only after loading.
2. The paint on the ejectorrod housing andthe frame is susceptible tosoftening if it comes into contact with cleaning solvent or oil. These canhurtthe finish.
3.The brasshammerscrewkept comingloose andI had to Lock Tite it. Another screw that secures thehandle frame to the main frame fell out and got lost somewhere.

Beside these issues, the gun shoots more accurately than many revolvers even though it has an alloy frame, and it should last for many moreyears. I haven't shot any .22 Mag out of it at allthough. If I did, I would probably shoot Winchester .22 Mag. Dynapointsout of it because they are less powerful.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, I'm glad you got a good one. My rough rider stinks. The 22LR is ok with remington ammo, not something I'd take small game hunting though (like you said about 4" groups) and the 22mag shoots like crap. I can't get any ammo to print all six shots on paper with that cylinder.

But my Ruger Vaquero is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Win some you loose some I guess... I'm taking the vaquero deer hunting with me once gun season opens up here in TN.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM

What a joke.
My boys each have one of the little 22s. They are not bad little guns for what you pay. But, shoot them a couple hundred times, you start getting endshake and other wear problems.
I also have three stainless 357 vaqueros. Each has probably been shot an excess of 30,000 rounds. I shoot cowboy action and I shoot allot. These have been my match guns for seven years and I shoot between 1500 and 3000 rounds a month between practice and matches, this does not include dry fire practice. The only malfunctions, including endshake, I have ever had include one broken firing pin and one broken transfer bar.
Comparing an alloy framed, cheaply put together 22 to an investment cast, high quality steel Ruger is about like comparing a CVA to an Thompson Center Encore!!! Oh, we've been there before too haven't we.

Anyway. For a little plinking gun to play around with, they are fine. When new, they'll shoot accurately and be tight. But, if you want a revolver that will last your your life and the life of you kids, get a Ruger, S&W, or other high quality handgun.

Hank
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Well if u want to compair an encore, u'd have to address all the encore problems. CVA optima elite is where its at.

Im happy with this little rough rider. I have 100 rounds of winchester .22 mags through it and maybe 30 rounds of remington .22 LR.

1/4" groups @ 20 yards is pretty darn good.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Like I said, a good $150 gun. Keep shooting those magnum rounds out of it and it'll shake rattle and roll before long. Just can't compare a cheap gun to a well made one. It may be ok at first, but years down the road the quality will come through. Just like that CVA.
Hank
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to wonder why the vaquero was a "bucket of piss"? I have never seen a totally bad ruger yet and even if there is a bad 1,they have EXCELLENT warranty. Why didn't you send it back? There's NO comparsion between heritage and rugers.

Quick Reply: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.