Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Conceale and carry Guns?? >

Conceale and carry Guns??

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Conceale and carry Guns??

Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a S&W .380 Body Guard and love it. It does take a little bit of practice because of the long trigger pull. Once you are used to it, I found it to be a great little pistol. Great for a pocket gun. It is with me every where!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Walther PPS in 40 S&W and Kimber CDP in 45 cal.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Ruger Lc9 for the summer and winter Ruger SR40c
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

see what feels best in your hand. For me I carry a Glock 27
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

For concealment, less is more.

I've spent a lot of time over the years "packing", and spend a lot of time now instructing ccw classes and handgunner classes. Between my wife and I, we have (and/or have had) a stable of concealable handguns: Kel-Tec P-3AT, Jennings J-22, S&W 60 Ladysmith, Taurus 85 x2, Ruger SP-101 x4 (2 357's, a .32H&R, and a .327Fed), Ruger SRH Alaskan x3 (a .44mag, 480ruger, and a .454), Springfield Micro-Compact 1911, Springfield EMP x2 (9mm and .40), Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9, Ruger SR9c and SR40c (both are my wife's), Wather PPK/S, Kahr PM9, Glock 19, Glock 33, Glock 27, Bersa Thunder, Sig P238, Cobra Derringer, Bond Derringer, HK USP Compact, and a Kimber Ultra Carry II (man, I hope I'm not forgetting anyone!!)

Out of this long list of options, my daily carry is between the Ruger LCP and the LC9. I'll occasionally pack another one along, but these two are my "go-to" choices. (The Kel-Tec P-3AT used to be my "go-to" option, before that, it was a Jennings J-22).

Ultimately, I prioritize two things from my concealed carry pistols: 1) it has to be lightweight and compact, so it's comfortable and easily concealed, and 2) I want as little time and as few steps between "oh $hit" and "bang" as possible. If it isn't easily concealed, I won't carry it every day, and if it takes more than just pulling the trigger to defend myself, I don't carry it (double action, or safe action only for me).

In my experience, anything over 24oz is too heavy, and anything over 5" x 1" x 6.5" is just too hard to conceal comfortably every day. The baby glock is a great weapon, as is the compact 1911, but frankly, they're still too big. Similarly, concealing a Taurus 85, S&W Ladysmith 60, or a Ruger SP-101 (or LCR) is difficult. With this size of weapon, my only REAL option is IWB SOB and an untucked shirt or jacket, which isn't always possible (I'm 5'10" and a lean/muscular 180lbs). My wife's only REAL option for these weapons is in her purse (5' 3" and 125lbs).

The ULTIMATE concealed carry weapon, in my opinion, is the Ruger LCP. Even loaded I'm looking at less weight than a snubnosed revolver, and it's under an inch wide. The Sig 238 is a fantastic weapon, but I am not a fan of single action/manual safety weapons for ccw (see my Priority #2).

Specifically, I really like the Kahr PM9. It's a little thicker than the Ruger single stack LC's, but still very concealable. It's not as comfortable in my hand, but my wife prefers it over the LCP. She does prefer the LC9 grip over the PM9 though.

When guys get "mid-sized" pieces as CC weapons is 1) they either think they need a "battle weapon" with a lot of power, so they replicate what a cop or soldier would carry (different paradigm than civilian CCW), or 2) they want a weapon to pull double duty as a plinker AND a CCW.

Personally, pleasure shooting and CCW demand such different weapons, that I'd never recommend getting 1 weapon for both of these tasks. A great plinker is NOT a good carry weapon, and a good carry weapon is NOT fun to shoot. Buy one in this size class, and I almost guarantee you will end up wanting something smaller for ccw, and something bigger for plinking, and you'll end up leaving it at home in the safe rather than carrying it.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
For concealment, less is more.

I've spent a lot of time over the years "packing", and spend a lot of time now instructing ccw classes and handgunner classes. Between my wife and I, we have (and/or have had) a stable of concealable handguns: Kel-Tec P-3AT, Jennings J-22, S&W 60 Ladysmith, Taurus 85 x2, Ruger SP-101 x4 (2 357's, a .32H&R, and a .327Fed), Ruger SRH Alaskan x3 (a .44mag, 480ruger, and a .454), Springfield Micro-Compact 1911, Springfield EMP x2 (9mm and .40), Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9, Ruger SR9c and SR40c (both are my wife's), Wather PPK/S, Kahr PM9, Glock 19, Glock 33, Glock 27, Bersa Thunder, Sig P238, Cobra Derringer, Bond Derringer, HK USP Compact, and a Kimber Ultra Carry II (man, I hope I'm not forgetting anyone!!)

Out of this long list of options, my daily carry is between the Ruger LCP and the LC9. I'll occasionally pack another one along, but these two are my "go-to" choices. (The Kel-Tec P-3AT used to be my "go-to" option, before that, it was a Jennings J-22).

Ultimately, I prioritize two things from my concealed carry pistols: 1) it has to be lightweight and compact, so it's comfortable and easily concealed, and 2) I want as little time and as few steps between "oh $hit" and "bang" as possible. If it isn't easily concealed, I won't carry it every day, and if it takes more than just pulling the trigger to defend myself, I don't carry it (double action, or safe action only for me).

In my experience, anything over 24oz is too heavy, and anything over 5" x 1" x 6.5" is just too hard to conceal comfortably every day. The baby glock is a great weapon, as is the compact 1911, but frankly, they're still too big. Similarly, concealing a Taurus 85, S&W Ladysmith 60, or a Ruger SP-101 (or LCR) is difficult. With this size of weapon, my only REAL option is IWB SOB and an untucked shirt or jacket, which isn't always possible (I'm 5'10" and a lean/muscular 180lbs). My wife's only REAL option for these weapons is in her purse (5' 3" and 125lbs).

The ULTIMATE concealed carry weapon, in my opinion, is the Ruger LCP. Even loaded I'm looking at less weight than a snubnosed revolver, and it's under an inch wide. The Sig 238 is a fantastic weapon, but I am not a fan of single action/manual safety weapons for ccw (see my Priority #2).

Specifically, I really like the Kahr PM9. It's a little thicker than the Ruger single stack LC's, but still very concealable. It's not as comfortable in my hand, but my wife prefers it over the LCP. She does prefer the LC9 grip over the PM9 though.

When guys get "mid-sized" pieces as CC weapons is 1) they either think they need a "battle weapon" with a lot of power, so they replicate what a cop or soldier would carry (different paradigm than civilian CCW), or 2) they want a weapon to pull double duty as a plinker AND a CCW.

Personally, pleasure shooting and CCW demand such different weapons, that I'd never recommend getting 1 weapon for both of these tasks. A great plinker is NOT a good carry weapon, and a good carry weapon is NOT fun to shoot. Buy one in this size class, and I almost guarantee you will end up wanting something smaller for ccw, and something bigger for plinking, and you'll end up leaving it at home in the safe rather than carrying it.
Thanks for your info, as of now im carry a sig p239 in a 40 cal , its not to big but is a little heavy, im a big guy and have had no troble concealing it as of now, but I have looked at maybe getting a new pistol this summer , I was going to check out the new springfeild XDS it comes out around aug, or look at a khar or a small glock,
Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rifle_man
Ruger Lc9 for the summer and winter Ruger SR40c
Rifle man how do you like your sr40c. I love my sr9c. I have been thinking about picking up the sr40c as well.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
A great plinker is NOT a good carry weapon, and a good carry weapon is NOT fun to shoot. Buy one in this size class, and I almost guarantee you will end up wanting something smaller for ccw, and something bigger for plinking, and you'll end up leaving it at home in the safe rather than carrying it.
true.I love the 1911 but I would not carry it all the time.
The Ruger lcp is a great CCW gun. I have one, but I like a little more power for my main carry weapon.
I use the Ruger LC9 with a good IWB holster. And my LCP with a ankle holster.
But after I get use to my Ruger SR9c more I may carrying it when it is cold outside. And where I live in Montana there can be more day’s cold than warm.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by abolt913
Thanks for your info, as of now im carry a sig p239 in a 40 cal , its not to big but is a little heavy, im a big guy and have had no troble concealing it as of now, but I have looked at maybe getting a new pistol this summer , I was going to check out the new springfeild XDS it comes out around aug, or look at a khar or a small glock,
The sig p239 is a good choice for ccw but as for the Springfield and the khar and glock. I have found they leave a print more than any other brand. I have a little hobby up here at the shooting range I try to pick out people CCW I have found that 9 out of 10 people I can pick out are packing has a Glock or a Springfield or a Khar.
I have found that people ccw Ruger, S&W, Sig, or Kimber solo and the Beretta nano are the hardest to pick out.
I would try carrying one of my full size 1911 over a Glock or a Springfield. Don’t get me wrong I have a Glock 27 and a Glock 23 and a XDm 3.8 comp 9mm, they are all good handguns but not good CCW guns to me.

Last edited by cooper_m22; 03-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I carry a Colt Pony Pocketlite .380 Great little gun!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Given appropriate attire, a guy can conceal a 12ga shotgun, but that doesn't make it a great choice.

I have holsters to conceal pretty much everything on that entire list, and I have on many occasions left the house with a Ruger SRH Alaskan or a full sized 1911 tucked strategically at the small of my back, but it's WAY less convenient than a micro-pistol.

I'm also a big fan of the LC9 for just a touch more stopping power. It's also a lot easier to shoot than the micro pistols like the LCP, just for the extra half inch of grip (less muzzle jump as well). The only down side is that somewhere between the LCP and the LC9 is the breaking point for "concealability". I can literally carry an LCP while jogging shirtless in nothing but gym-shorts with a draw string. Drop it in my pocket and it's no more visible than an Iphone. The LC9 is JUST big enough that the grip protrudes a little too much for a pocket gun, so I almost always carry it IWB SOB or FOH.

Variety is the spice of life, and obviously, I haven't forced myself to commit to just ONE CCW option, but after packing a Glock 19 for a few years then switching to a Kel-Tec P-3AT (since replaced by the Ruger LCP), it's like night and day for convenience and comfort.

If I wore a vest/jacket/un-tucked shirt every day, my first choice would be a Ruger SP-101 .357mag, but that's not the world I live in, so I picked ONE that would suit EVERY attire (Ruger LCP). On days I have a chance to wear "winter clothes", I occasionally carry a bigger piece, but more often, I just carry the LCP out of habit.

Nobody is going to argue with a 380acp at 5-10ft, and you're hard pressed to justify that your life is in danger if an attacker is 20yrds away, so power factor for me is moot. I also DO have a few coyote skins taken with a Walther PPK/S that would argue that the .380acp isn't underpowered at 25-50yrds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.