Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Leopold vs. Zeiss

Old 09-21-2003, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Leopold vs. Zeiss

The Zeiss will be superior in clarity,brightness,ease of focus(diopter bino style not loosening and turning the entire occular eye piece),FOV,reticle color and prominence,W&E adjustments(finger adjustable not coin),eye relief(constant 4" eye relief not one that changes with power adjustments),and finish(less prone to scratching).

The Leupold will be lighter in weight,slightly shorter,and have better resale value.

They will be a wash on warranty,tracking,and holding POI.

Good choosing and shooting!

woods
Old 09-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Zeiss Conquest gets my vote too. I own two and couldn' t be happier.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:50 AM

have better resale value
Not for much longer! [:-]
Old 10-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I' ll stick with the Leupold brand.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The resale value on ziess is actually as good or better than leupold where I live.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:31 PM

I based my observation off of E-Bay and the Leupolds always bring the closest to retail prices when sold used.

woodseye
Old 10-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never visit e-bay but do visit gun shops on a regular basis.The conquests have become strong sellers and used ones seem to be rare and high priced when they do appear.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:01 AM

Thats just it.........the conquests are rather rare still on the used market,they also have an unusual mark-up with most scope sites(Bear Basin/SWFA/D&R/Cabelas)selling them for a fair amount more than you can buy one from a lot of these same sellers on E-Bay.I' ve been buying the 3.5x10x44 conquests for $425-440 on E-Bay from authorized Zeiss NA dealers( with FULL lifetime warranty) while they are bringing $550-595 most other places.This makes it easy to sell one used and get your money back I suppose, but against an inflated retail market.For the untold number of Leupolds out there, they still bring the closest to going retail $(80-90%) and sell fast everytime I sell one.They don' t seem to have this double pricing structure that Zeiss has.Almost like Zeiss is letting them dump a % of new scopes at lower prices thru places like E-Bay to get a lot of them out on the market quickly.Nothing wrong with this but it creates a confusing pricing structure for potential new buyers.Winks Sporting goods is an authorized Zeiss outlet for NA but he and D&R(also authorized) sell brand new factory sealed scopes on E-Bay for MUCH less than the going current retail US prices.Might be different up in Canada where you have quite a different scope pricing structure than we do on US made scopes, but thats how its working down here and why I made my statement about Leupold still having the top resale value. I do agree with Randy however, that given some more time to get a larger share of the market, coupled with word getting out slowly on these forums and by word of mouth and experience that the Conquests are better in the majority of fields of comparison (not just brightness and clarity)that they have the attributes to make them the best scope in their class and most popular by far.All it takes is just ONE look! Latest scuttlebutt is that they are equal to or better optically than the more expensive S&B scopes in some Euro tests.

woods