Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Browning X Bolt problem??? >

Browning X Bolt problem???

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning X Bolt problem???

Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

Default Browning X Bolt problem???

HELP, I sent my Leupold vx3 back to get repaired , the gun was sighted in before this mind u, got the scope back from Leupold and now the gun shop that is mounting the scope CAN NOT GET IT TO BORE SIGHT ?? They first tried another scope just like it and the same thing wont bore sight? im lost on what it could be asked gun smith about mounts and he tried new same Leupold monts and rings still wont bore sight in? is there something wrong with the Xbolt itself? gun is 1 year old and was sighted in last fall about 1 inch groups at 100yds?? now told me to go shoot it and see what it dose, he said he may end up schiming the mount? any ideas would be thankfully welcomed........
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Mine was bore sighted in just a few minutes. The gunsmith had no problems with mine. Mine was a 2nd gen X-Bolt.

My father bought one of the first years X-Bolts and had his bore sighted as well. No issues there, which is why I had mine bore sighted.

Seeing as your gun shot fine before, either your scope still has a problem, or the bore sighter has a problem. My money would be on the scope being the problem seeing as the gun is proven to shoot true, and I'm betting the gunsmith is using a tool that has not had problems in the past.

Still, tools wear down and fail as well. I know that from personal experience.

Take your gun out with the scope on it and shoot it. If the scope is the problem, then it will be evident in no time.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sfury
Mine was bore sighted in just a few minutes. The gunsmith had no problems with mine. Mine was a 2nd gen X-Bolt.

My father bought one of the first years X-Bolts and had his bore sighted as well. No issues there, which is why I had mine bore sighted.

Seeing as your gun shot fine before, either your scope still has a problem, or the bore sighter has a problem. My money would be on the scope being the problem seeing as the gun is proven to shoot true, and I'm betting the gunsmith is using a tool that has not had problems in the past.

Still, tools wear down and fail as well. I know that from personal experience.

Take your gun out with the scope on it and shoot it. If the scope is the problem, then it will be evident in no time.
The only problem is that the gun smith took another vx3 new out of the box and it is doing the same thing it will not bore sight either ??? and I bought the gun last spring so its a 2nd gen xbolt as u would call it .
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by abolt913
HELP, I sent my Leupold vx3 back to get repaired , the gun was sighted in before this mind u, got the scope back from Leupold and now the gun shop that is mounting the scope CAN NOT GET IT TO BORE SIGHT ?? They first tried another scope just like it and the same thing wont bore sight? im lost on what it could be asked gun smith about mounts and he tried new same Leupold monts and rings still wont bore sight in? is there something wrong with the Xbolt itself? gun is 1 year old and was sighted in last fall about 1 inch groups at 100yds?? now told me to go shoot it and see what it dose, he said he may end up schiming the mount? any ideas would be thankfully welcomed........
What kind of mounts are you using? I used Dead Nutz Game Reaper 1 piece mounts on my X-Bolt and it was very easy to bore sight. Have you tried mounting the scope then pulling the bolt out of the rifle and bore sighting it that way?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

never had a problem with mine either.... did you take it to the range and try sighting in???
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that the front ring and the rear ring are different heights. If you switched them around it is a problem. If the rings are reversed, I hope the "gun shop" did not mount the scope tightly.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 04-04-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bore Sighting

I'm not sure which mounting system you're using. With the addition of a shim this will help with elevation adjustments. So, if your smith said he might shim I'm guessing he ran out of elevation adjustment? If he ran out of windage you can change to a windage adjustable mount assuming one is made for the X-Bolt. The mounts I've seen for the X-Bolt didn't allow for windage adjustments in the rear mount. I will assume Leupold makes this kind of mount for the X-Bolt. If in fact windage adjustment has ran out using a shim will cause no adverse problems. Just make sure the shim is made of metal and not plastic. The plastic shims deteriorate over time and the metal ones will not.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

If he tried 2 scopes and a different mounts and it won't sight in, it leaves the boresighter. Guns and quality scopes don't go bad without damage, if neither is the case then it's the boresighter or the dumb dumb using it. I had a gunshop break a brand new scope when he ran out of adjustment but he seen that the scope had markings left that indicated it had 1 turn left and forced it to turn and broke the windage adjuster and a broke one of the lens on the inside.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not take it to the range, set-up, remove the bolt and visually "bore sight" by looking thru the barrel. Center on a round target at 25 yards, and move the crosshairs accordingly to get on center. That's how it used to be done.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by; "....CAN NOT GET IT TO BORE SIGHT ??"

Might want to try using these;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-s...l-inserts.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.