HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   H&R 12ga (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/350637-h-r-12ga.html)

bucksandducks84 09-29-2011 04:35 PM

H&R 12ga

Just picked up a fully rifled H&R 12 ga and was wondering if anyone had any tips on what ammo to use when sighting in for deer season. Thanks in advance for all help. I will be shooting 3" shells also:deer:

Big Bullets 09-30-2011 07:16 AM

It's Worth the Work

Unless you know someone who is shooting the same gun, you should invest in buying several different boxes of slugs. I know that is expensive but, it will save you money and diappointment in the future.

Remington Premier Copper Solids have been great for me. However, I tried both 2 3/4 & 3 inch versions, Lightfields and a couple of other brands at the time. Any one with a new gun should go through this exercise as, even "identical" guns may have different preferences in ammo.

Take your shoulder pad or get one before doing this. Make sure you have a solid rest in order to take as much of the human element as possible out of this. A friend and a decent spotting scope help at the range. Let the barrel get cold between brands. Look for the best group. A tight group can be moved. Consistancy is the key.

Have fun!

BOWHUNTERCOP 09-30-2011 12:32 PM

Lightfield EXPs 2-3/4", no need for the 3" shells

trader74 10-02-2011 12:50 PM

im a fan of light fields, but in my 20 gauge the remington accutips work the best 1 in groups at 50 yrds.

whitetailcrazy 10-16-2011 05:17 PM

I had great luck with Remington Core Lockts...

oldsmellhound 10-16-2011 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bullets (Post 3854856)
Unless you know someone who is shooting the same gun, you should invest in buying several different boxes of slugs. I know that is expensive but, it will save you money and diappointment in the future.

Remington Premier Copper Solids have been great for me. However, I tried both 2 3/4 & 3 inch versions, Lightfields and a couple of other brands at the time. Any one with a new gun should go through this exercise as, even "identical" guns may have different preferences in ammo.

Take your shoulder pad or get one before doing this. Make sure you have a solid rest in order to take as much of the human element as possible out of this. A friend and a decent spotting scope help at the range. Let the barrel get cold between brands. Look for the best group. A tight group can be moved. Consistancy is the key.

Have fun!

Good advice here. My H&R tends to prefer Lightfields, but your results may vary.

whitetailcrazy 10-19-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by whitetailcrazy (Post 3861976)
I had great luck with Remington Core Lockts...

We own 3 H&R Ultra Slug Hunters (Myself, My father & the wife) all seem to shoot the Core Lockts very well.. Worth a try