Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

CVA Optima .50 Cal?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question CVA Optima .50 Cal?

I saw the CVA Optima .50 cal SS for the first time today. I really liked the look and feel or it. It hung nice when shouldering it and the fiber sights lite up nice. I liked the fluted barrel as well. My buddy said he was getting a 2" - 3" group at 100 yards with it (this is fiber optic sights, no scope).

I am usually a TC guy, but really liked this gun. For those who own one, what do you think of it?

Thanks, Rob
Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

love mine. I own 2 of them and they will do well under 1" at 100 yards. Are the ones youre looking at the new models with the finger removable breech plug?

This one is strictly open sights. i got the thumbhole for the scope set up.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it has the finger removable breech plug. I have a TC Encore with a scope and love the gun. Just don't want to remove the scope and put the rear sight back on for hunting Colorado with a muzzleloader. Also looking at the TC Triumph but it's a couple of hundred more.

Did you buy yours locally or on line? Most of the online ones seem to not have iron sights but are set up for scopes. Do see a few on Gunbroker.com with iron sights.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

www.rrarms.com has some great prices.

Go with the Optima for you Colorado gun, TC doesnt recommend full bore projectiles in their rifles.

With the Optima, the thumb hole is a scope only set up but the non thumbhole optima can use open sights.

I use the Truglow ghost ring rear and truglo globe front sight on my Optima. I got tired of yanking sights and scopes every hunting season LOL. Easier just to get another new gun and keep one scoped and the other open sight.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD54, thanks for the link for rrarms. They do have some great prices! I really like your site setup. Where is existing sites hard to take off? I have the ghost ring on my turkey gun and it works well.

Thanks again for the info . . . Rob
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

easy to remove. Just have to remove one screw on the front and one on the rear and they lift off.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an TC Encore and really liked it...shot a friends Optima Elite a few years ago and like it more. Sold my Encore and had money left over after buying an Optima Elite package with a .270 barrel! With the 50 cal on her, my groups average 1.5" using 295 gr Powerbelt hollow points...pretty nice if you ask me! Shoots on par with the TC, but I prefer the fit and feel of the CVA. Breaks open easier as well. Mine is not a finger removable breach, but that is ok with me.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have 5 year old CVA Optima "Pro". Has a SS fluted barrel, 50 cal. I get 2.5 MOA groups consistently with 2 - 50 gr. 777 pellets, and about 1.5 MOA with 120 gr. loose 777 ... all day long. Easy to clean and has been 100% reliable for me so far. Groups are great from about 92 gr. to 116 gr. On mine start to open up above 125 gr. Though it is supposed to be OK to 150 gr., I have not used more than 125 gr. Probably have killed 20 deer with it. it is now my loaner because I moved to a Savage 10ML (smokeless powder). I have killed deer cleanly out to about 165 yards with the CVA. Easy to clean and simple.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the load info. Will have one soon!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Spike

I just sold my older cva hunter mag bolt and picked up a used optima. Mine don't have the finger removable breech plug but the wrench removes it with ease. So far I love it, only shot it a few times getting the scope dialed in. It shoulders great and feels really well made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.