Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
to tikka or not to tikka??? >

to tikka or not to tikka???

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

to tikka or not to tikka???

Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like over pressure however it is possible you need to have the bolt face polished and or a chamber reamed to remove a burr. Brass expands quickly and holds heat, therefor even the slights of imperfections from tooling can cause restriction or extraction problems. I would take it to a respected compenent gunsmith, should be able to tell you if it's a simple fix &/or if savage should get involved. A call to savage isn't a bad option. Either way it needs to be addressed before you use or sell it.

As far the tikka if it feels and fits you good go for it. I personally don't like the fit or feel of the tikka T3, so will not buy one on that account alone. However they are good shooters and have a loyal following.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a handful of Savage rifles and every one of them are shooters and I have no problems with them. That being said however, I just ordered my first Tikka. I opted for the T3 lite, stainless, in 30-06.
Handling them, the T3 has one of the slickest actions around. Every one I felt was like glass on glass. Absolutely zero drag, no binding or wobble. From butt to muzzle, the company seems to have its act together and backs it with an accuracy guarantee.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka without polymer is a Sako (maybe that's a stretch). I looked at the Tikka and didn't really like all of the plastic. I have an old Sako L691 (pre-Beretta) and I would spend extra money for a Sako, but that's just me. I'm sure the polymer holds up OK, I just don't like it when it comes to mags and trigger guards.

My vote would be not to Tikka.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cooper_m22
Do you hand load? Because it sounds like your rifle is building up two much presser, after your first shot. (If you keep on shooting a rifle that is building up to much presser, one day it’s going to blow up in your face.)
If you hand load go to a milder load. If you do not hand load, GET THE RIFLE BACK TO SAVAGE. The head spacing could be off.
As for tikka, I had one sold it, Very accurate. Just don’t like tikka.
+1, it does sound like a head space problem, You can go to savageshooters.com, and post your question there. Those guys eat, sleep and breathe savage rifles, Most of them build their own rifles so telling you what's wrong should be a snap.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

What 'plastic' are you guys talking about. The magazine is made of a polymer. Very similar to the stuff a lot of handgun frames are made of - so its plenty tough. I've seen way too many metal magazines get dropped and become virtually useless or get rusted from poor maintenance. The stock is a fiberglass re-enforced copolymer. Better than most synthetic stocks and definately stronger than wood. If you like the fit of a Tikka, it won't let you down.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Spike

I recently bought a T3 Hunter (can't stand plastic stocks) and could not be anymore pleased. Rifle shoots amazing and quality is unmatched. I have a good friend that swears by his Rem 700 and we shoot same sized groups. 1 thing I have found is it does shoot better with premium ammo than the walmart stuff. I don't know what the big hipe over Savage rifles are I wouldn't own one after seeing a good friend of mine dropping $400+ on one and having pie plate sized groups at 200 yards. He sent the gun back numerous times and they said nothing is wrong with it. I paid a little over $400 for my Tikka and love it, yes the clip and trigger guard are poly but otherwise what would be different between the Sako and Tikka?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Spike

Check your primers and see if they look normal, or better yet post a close up picture of the case after firing.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chas - Actually there are some differences between the Sako and the Tikka. First off, the Sako 85 and A7 guarantee 5 shots in an inch at 100 yds whereas the Tikka only 3. The Sako has a square receiver which fits into a matching bedding surface in the stock. And finally, the Sako has controlled round feeding but not the Tikka.
But for the money, the Tikka is a great rifle.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

This points out quit a few of the other differences.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review

Proud owner of a Sako A7 stainless in 7 MM Rem. Mag.

I like Tikka for the money !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-12-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
... Im very impressed with the look and feel of the Tikka brand, are they worth the money?...
In a word, "absolutely". With a quality scope mounted, properly torqued and quality ammo, Tikka T3 lives up to it's guarantee, in my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.