Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
to tikka or not to tikka??? >

to tikka or not to tikka???

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

to tikka or not to tikka???

Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I bought my first Tikka less than a year ago...I was leery at first as I didn't like the feel of the bolt, along with the poly mags and the plastic trigger guard were all turn-offs, as well as the cheap feeling of the stock. That being said, I bought it anyway...why? Well for one I am a left handed shooter (which limits my options) and the rifle was in a caliber that I had been looking for (270 WSM)...even tougher to locate in left handed rifles.

One trip to the range and I was sold...first 3 shot group @ 100 yards with Federal Premium ammo (140g Nosler Ballistic tips) could be covered with a quarter, holding up to their MOA guarantee. After break in, hand-loaded 130g Nosler Accubonds with H4831sc maintain sub-MOA accuracy any day of the week. I love the rifle and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love the trigger (adjustable down to 2#), the action runs smoothly in all weather...for the $ I would say that the Tikka has been the best bang for my buck in ages...and it filled all 4 deer tags I had last year with 1 shot kills. I'll hunt with it again this year in 2 states...possibly 4...for deer and on an Oregon elk hunt. It is quickly becoming my rifle in a crowded safe.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rjhans53
I'm with bugs. I've owned and sold 3 tikka's in the last few years. The all shot very well and had good triggers on them, I just don't care for the way they feel. I think the straight stock they have increases felt recoil a BUNCH and I don't care for them. Had one in 338 fed, it's gone, replaced by a sako 85, the 6.5 x 55 has been replaced by the howa with a mcgowen barrel on it, the 270 probably will never be replaced but who knows, I might run across a real deal one of these days. I really like the way a ruger hawkeye feels and shoots, it's american made and they feel good to my shoulder.
My feelings as well. I had a T3 Lite in 25-06 and wound up selling it. I loved the slick bolt, the great trigger, and the excellent accuracy but it just did not feel quite right in my hands. If Tikka would cut down on the use of polymer, I could probably live with it. I almost picked up a stainless T3 Lite in 270 but decided to pass because I knew, in my own mind that I would not be happy with the feel of the rifle.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
Cooper, I do not load my own bullets. i shoot remington core loks. Its been doin this for a few yrs now, But yeah its just one shot then my bolt wont up back up. How would i go about telling if that were the problem before i send it back?

HEADSPACE!

you can start relaoding your own stuff and clear that up. i thought about it today while i was at work. and if you use a case trimmer and shave a bit off the case, it'll clear up, i hope!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off, likeI said before, contact Savage and tell them the problem. A sticky bolt is nothing to fool with. Something is causing it to bind. Either something mechanical or overpressure from the ammo you are using.
Don't go trading it without at least having it looked at. Someone else may buy it and it might blow up in their face. I would not shoot this rifle any more until it is looked at by a professional gunsmith or the manufacturer.
As for the Tikkas, each rifle is shot at the factory and must shoot 3 shots in 1 MOA or it goes back for troubleshooting.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Deepsouth,
When your Savage "locks up", how do you unlock it?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
My feelings as well. I had a T3 Lite in 25-06 and wound up selling it. I loved the slick bolt, the great trigger, and the excellent accuracy but it just did not feel quite right in my hands. If Tikka would cut down on the use of polymer, I could probably live with it. I almost picked up a stainless T3 Lite in 270 but decided to pass because I knew, in my own mind that I would not be happy with the feel of the rifle.
X2. Have a Tikka t3 lite stainless in 22-250. Great shooter, butter smooth bolt but when hunting coyotes in the snow that composite stock is very slippery and hard to grip not to mention colder than wood.

Done a bit of searching for an aftermarket replacement stock but have not had much luck to date. Guessing tikkas aren't available in the usa.

Willy

Last edited by willy 9889; 08-30-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

keyshunter,
after a while it will become unlocked... i shot a deer last yr at somewhere close to 300 yrds and didnt put the most desireable shot on it, it took close to ten mins for me to be able to open my bolt and get another shot in him. I was not planning on celling it if it can be fixed,,, but i was still lookn into getting a tikka anyways, however some of these posts have got me worried, what is the deal with the stocks on these things??
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

To Tikka or not to Tikka??

My vote. Not to Tikka. Tom.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka is a step up from your Savage. It's a great gun. Especialy if you like cheap plastic. There are a lot better choices for the same money.

I'm with Tom! Not to Tikka but get rid of the Savage and get a real gun.

Edit- Just kidding on the Savage but Savage or Tikka would never be my choice.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 09-01-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by willy 9889
X2. Have a Tikka t3 lite stainless in 22-250. Great shooter, butter smooth bolt but when hunting coyotes in the snow that composite stock is very slippery and hard to grip not to mention colder than wood.

Done a bit of searching for an aftermarket replacement stock but have not had much luck to date. Guessing tikkas aren't available in the usa.

Willy
I bought my Tikka in the USA....they are readily available...look here for aftermarket stocks http://www.robertsoncomposites.com/ I also agree...love my Tikka...except for the stock, unfortunately left handed after market stocks are even less available...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.