Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin 336

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not necessarily limited to 150 yards though. With today's better bullets, 250-300 yards is doable...depending (of course) on conditions and quarry.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Developed from the Marlin Model 36. in 1948. Marlin started using a process they refer to as "micro-groove" decades ago that is touted as improving acciracy. i have had one Mod. 336 ... in 35 Rem. It shot great. The Hornady Leverlution ammo was specifically designed for use in a tube fed lever action rifle such as the Marlin 336 and Winchester Model 94. The Marlin 336's side eject makes is simple to attach a scope, where as the Model 94 requires a side mount system. There is one other often over looked advantage over the Win. Model 94. The lever pivot screw can be removed using a screw driver. This allows for the bolt-ejector assembly to be removed for easy cleaning ... and allows the barrel to be swabbed clean from the breach end. This help reduce the chance of damaging the barrell's crown. Taking a Model 94 down is a chore.

As for the 30/30 Win. round being under powered for deer hunting? I wonder how many deer this round has put in the pot ? Yes .... it is not a 400 yard deer killing machine. Muzzle velocity is not up there with the "big boys", and the flat nosed bullets that had to be used before the development of the Leverlution concept just cannot fly fast, far.

Out to 150-200 yards, the 30/30 Win. will do just fine. And I suspect that'll cover over 90% of the shots that will be taken at white tails this fall !
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think you can go wrong with a 30-30 Marlin. Mine is probably close to 20 years old and is still a faithful companion. When I got out of the Marine Corps, I didn't have time to check my sights before deer season and bagged a button buck. It was nice and tender bean fed delacacy.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have a marlin 336cs in .35 rem and love it. I use the hornady rounds and have used rem corelocts and never had a problem killing deer with it. Nice short, manueverable gun.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

JB Flatlander,
I have had several 336's over the years, and still have a .30-30 in the safe. I would look for an older one in very good condition, since overall quality was usually excellent. In particular, I would stay away from Marlins that were produced since the company was bought out and moved, because there have been quality issues.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by keyshunter
JB Flatlander,
I have had several 336's over the years, and still have a .30-30 in the safe. I would look for an older one in very good condition, since overall quality was usually excellent. In particular, I would stay away from Marlins that were produced since the company was bought out and moved, because there have been quality issues.
This. I have not experienced the quality issues personally, but have heard reports. If I were to buy a new gun, I'd make sure it cycles properly.

There should be plenty of these on the used market.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a big fan. And if I was you I would look for a nicer used one. The older ones usually have nicer wood on them, and as mentioned there's rumor of quality issues with newer ones. I shot mine last friday to make sure it's all ready for deer season. And did this.
The first two shots were low left. I adjusted the scope and shot the three shot group, then adjusted again and hit right in the center. I shot another group just like the 3 shot group on another target and kept it right in the center but didn't get a picture. This is at 100 yards. COuldn't be happier with a lever gun. Short, quick, consistent and accurate. Tough to beat. I have the Marlin as a "backup" to my remmy 700 .30-06 but the last two years I've found myself just carrying the Marlin.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Marlin 336-.30-30.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Spike

u can find them anywhere between $300.00 and up. i perfer the 35rem.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Spike

I am thinking of buying a new 336A, but some have told me about the quality issues. Should I just buy 336 used?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 336 in a 30-30. I got it from my Grandma several years ago. She bought it for her father to use deer hunting. She told me that he would not use it because it was not a Winchester. SO when I got it it was basally new. I found a very old weaver k4 scope and I mounted a old set of weaver bases and rings. I wanted to dress it like it would have been in the 1950's when she bought it. With Sierra 150 gr this rifle shoots amazing. The second picture is my son with the first deer the 336 ever killed. Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.