Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
What's up with Ruger??!! >

What's up with Ruger??!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What's up with Ruger??!!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Does Ruger tool up for a certain production run of rifles, or pistols, and say to hell with the rest 'till later? I too look at availablility daily so I know my gun guy is being straight with me.
ive had the chance to see rugers old production methods first hand, back in the bill ruger days. basicall their casting and forging departents are super flexable (like any other big casting company) because "retooling" at pine tree castings is as easy as switching out the dies and fixtures. any machining is basicaly done on a cnc line, again with flexable tooling and pre written programing and tool setup guides. i know this might seem a little basic without going into great detail but trust me as a machinist i am truely impressed with what bill established his manufacturing lines to be (also impressive are the casting techniques he personally developed). back in the 50's he imagined a zero hand fitted firearms and aside from the few hiccups along the way ruger has nearly achieved bills manufacturing masterpiece. if you have the chance to see it youself you will really be amazed at what they do, even if your not in the machining/manufacturing industry.

on the other hand i feel your pain. here in canada, pistols are hard enough to get in stanard models. getting that one ruger that first my personality, in this case a super blackhawk hunter .44 mag, is very had find here and as i understand isnt the most common wheel gun across the border either.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default ruger

like you i would like to see ruger start making the redhawk in 41 mag again. why they stopped production on this caliber is beyond me. the 45 long colt is a good caliber too. hope you find one.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Right now Ruger has a lot of "New" products out and I don't think they can keep up with the demand. Such as the Gunsight Scout Rifle, Sp101 is coming back out in 22lr. There is a lot of demand for their new 1911 pistol, the new single 10, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Can anyone shed some light on Ruger's manufacturing philosophy?
Here's the deal; I want a Redhawk in .45 Colt. That model has been "unavailable" for monmths now. I have a locall gun dealer looking for me and he has access to several distributors and that gun just never gets made!
Does Ruger tool up for a certain production run of rifles, or pistols, and say to hell with the rest 'till later? I too look at availablility daily so I know my gun guy is being straight with me.

So.......... what's up with Ruger??!!
i can't find one in 45 colt either. they're all 44 and 41 mags, which are far better calibers on a hunting revolver, since all the colt ammunition is loaded at such low velocities.

i'd bet ruger created some marketing model that said the "market" wanted 1000 in 45 colt. so that's all they made and you're guy number 1001. if you look long enough, you'll find one.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nsdemit
i can't find one in 45 colt either. they're all 44 and 41 mags, which are far better calibers on a hunting revolver, since all the colt ammunition is loaded at such low velocities.

i'd bet ruger created some marketing model that said the "market" wanted 1000 in 45 colt. so that's all they made and you're guy number 1001. if you look long enough, you'll find one.

i just put this up and i found one. it's like $700 and it only has a 4" barrel. brand new though. bud's gun shop. lexington, KY.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nsdemit
i just put this up and i found one. it's like $700 and it only has a 4" barrel. brand new though. bud's gun shop. lexington, KY.

here i go again.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=246293881

5.5" stainless barrel

used

rosewood grips
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
You could just buy the Redhawk chambered for the 454 Casull and shoot .45 rounds through it.

Ruger has never made a Redhawk chambered in 454 Casull. it's the Super Redhawk.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bud's gun shop is only about an hour away from where I live so I've dealt extensively with them. Bud's gun shop is 100% reliable & trustworthy, I can totally recommend them.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Spike

I am a HUGE Ruger fan and have at least a dozen in various calibers and configurations. I once wanted a 458 mag and it was listed in their catalog, but when my gun dealer looked all over the country for one, he was never able to find one in almost a years time ( this was in the mid 90's ). I then told him heck with it and ordered a winchester on wednesday and had it friday.

I always heard they tooled up and made a lot of a particular caliber, then switch their tooling and make another gun/caliber combo. One plant made rifles, while another made handguns.

I am still a HUGE Ruger fan though and when I am the mood for a new gun, I ALWAYS look to see if Ruger makes it first, and only look elsewhere when they don't.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of speculating on what a Company does or doesn't do why not email them directly and find out???