Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which rifle?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Spike

Default Which rifle?

I'm looking for a new bolt action rifle and I can't decide which one to buy. I thinking of getting it in .308.

I'm considering the Winchester Model 70, Ruger Hawkeye, Browning X-Bolt or Savage 16. (In that order) I also think I want an all weather gun, so stainless barrel, etc.

I plan to use the rifle to hunt deer, Boar, Moose and maybe ELK....is .308 enough?

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Model 70 all the way.
Then flip a coin for the Ruger or Savage.
I wouldn't have an X-bolt personally. IMO Browning hasn't made a bolt action rifle worth having in a very very long time.

The .308 is plenty enough gun for all the animals you mentioned.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Ruger. But I'm biased, I've owned several over the last few years, mostly at the same time.
My next choice would be the Win.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag & a Savage Weather Warrior 16 FCSS in .204.

That new Winchester is nice though.

If it had a detachable box magazine, I'd already own one in synthetic/stainless.

Nuff said
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a Ruger man but it wouldn't hurt all of manufacturers to put a decent trigger in a mid priced ranged rifle. Savage is pretty accurate out of the box for a hunting rifle. Can't go wrong with a Remington or a Winchester as far as a hunting rifle either. In a .308 I'd opt for the Remington 700 tactical model. It is short well balanced, a tack driver and for the price the best trigger you'll put your finger on for less than $600.00.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

winchester model 70 or browning x bolt
Old 06-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend purchasing in the order which you previously listed. The new (SC made) Winny's are quite nice!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

My father and I own X-Bolts. They are very nice guns. I have a 7mm08 and he has a 243.

I'd go with a Ruger if you don't want an X-Bolt.

I've had success with their guns in the past as well. I'm still trying to get my father to sell me the old Ruger .44 semi-auto rifle he has to use as a backup gun. It was the gun I used when I began to hunt. It survived my early years of making mistakes to help me become a decent hunter.

Although, I'm also apparently biased as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Biased As Well

Look at Thompson Center , Icon, Venture, or Encore !
Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suggest you try them all for fit and feel. Also consider the functions. I personally do not care for the 3 position safeties on the Winchesters or Rugers. I do like the rifles though. I do like the tang safeties on the the Brownings and Savages. Now that being said, I have never owned a Model 70 only because I am a lefty. (Never got a chance to own one of their left hand bolts when they cam out). I do/did own Ruger 77s, Savage 116 (the long action version of the 16) and Browning A bolts. And to get them to my satisfaction, I had trigger jobs done on the Rugers and the Brownings. And bedding on one Ruger and one Browning. The Savage (several in fact) shot terriffic right out of the box. But it all boils down to the first statement. Get the one that feels the best in your hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.