HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   looking into getting a handgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/341928-looking-into-getting-handgun.html)

mossbergman11/OH 03-14-2011 03:32 PM

looking into getting a handgun

hey everybody. i have been looking into buying a handgun for the past few years and now that im in the army i thought it was a about time to get one. i really like the glocks but i will take any advice on any type of handgun that you think is the best. i also am confused on the different cals with handguns so if anyone could explain that to me that would be great!

thanks

RobertSubnet 03-14-2011 04:53 PM

What do you plan on doing with the pistol and what is your experience with firearms and pistols?

salukipv1 03-14-2011 04:56 PM

9mm or .40 would be my top 2.

mossbergman11/OH 03-14-2011 06:02 PM

i have been around guns all my life. mainly shotguns and small rifles. never handguns

sconnyhunter 03-14-2011 06:35 PM

Being in the Army, you will shortly come to understand Pistols.
They will teach you how to shoot them accurately, and with time you will learn what you like and don't like in a Pistol.
Give it time, your friends in the Army will buy some and you may be able to shoot theirs.
If you find that you like the 1911 frame, Kimber makes a very good line with that 1911 style.
Glock, Smith and Wesson, Walther are all good Manufacturers.
But you will have to decide for yourself what fits the best in your hands, what has the best balance for you, and what you can afford.

Colorado Cajun 03-15-2011 08:53 AM

Is it for self defense or just target shooting? For concealed carry?

I went to nothing but Glocks after buying a Smith and Wesson M&P. I had problems with the M&P and was not impressed with the way Smith and Wesson handled it. I wasn't convinced they fixed it so I got rid of it.

Glock is my favorite, it is simple and simply works. I have a 9MM (G26) and 40 cal (G23). I like having both of my carry guns using the same platform, feel, and sight picture. If I had to recommend a handgun for multiple use, Glock is what it would be.

sconnyhunter 03-15-2011 03:35 PM

Colorado, I like the Glock platform too. Though I probably won't buy one.
I prefer 6 shooters, cause I use a shotgun with bird shot for home defense. I want a wheel gun to carry when I go for hikes with my kids, without having to carry and possibly explain, why I have a shotgun with me in the summer (we have A LOT of bears and increasing wolf populations near me).

Big Bullets 03-16-2011 08:37 AM

The military will only train you on the 9mm Baretta. If there is a gun store/range near you that rents handguns, you can try several side by side. You will find that some have safetys and some do not, There are de-****er models and other features that you should look at and consider.

The most important thing is fit and feel. Only trying will reveal what feels right.

As to caliber. I prefer a .40 or .45. They have more stopping power as the police and military are finally admitting. Both are slowly moving away from the 9mm (and .223) as the SOG proves to them that these rounds do not have the penetration or stopping power needed. The are finally correcting a 50 year old mistake.

Do not be in a hurry. Be an informed buyer.

scottycoyote 03-16-2011 11:17 AM

carry--glock 26 or 27, smith&wesson 6906-340-airweight bodygaurd

target-any 1911, browning hi-power

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-16-2011 01:00 PM

I'm buying a new handgun soon myself. I've been carrying off duty a Glock 23 for 15 years, and I really like the Glocks, and looks like I will be getting a Glock 27 replace the 23 as my off duty firearm, but I will also look into the Springfield XD compact