Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer? >

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

I'm thinking of getting a low recoil..accurate and most reasanably priced

maybe a package gun with sope allready on...

what does all suggest please..243 cal would be my choice..

got twin grandaughters that may start this year...10 yrs. old and very small/thin..need to find something before fall..maybe a H&R or nef ???
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dude, the .243 is an excellent choice for deer for a youth (or anyone for that matter). I pefer the 7-08 as it has more punch and only slightly more recoil. As for the rifle, check out Savage's line of their model 11s in the youth size. I purchased one for my grandson - I believe the model is the 11FYCAK. It has an adjustable muzzle brake that reduces felt recoil and has a detatchable magazine. I didn't opt for the package but got a Burris scope to put on it. And quite frankly it is the most accurate rifle I've shot in a while. Just working up loads for it - it has shot several 5 shot 100 yard groups that were less than 1/2" and one that was .23" center to center. You can also upgrade it later to a full length stock. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

let me run this idea past ya people...give me your Gods honest opinion!!

their mother (my daughter in law) has a 243..youth/womens stock but 13"+ pull...what make I'm not sure...here is my thought...she doesn't use it too much (once or twice to my knowledge)
take the girls into a gunshop...have them cut the stock down and add a Sims recoil pad...99% of the time they will be in a box blind/vehicle.....they could use for deer and also go coyote hunting with dad (my son) (he goes a lot...shot like 12 this year)...an adult rifle that is fairly heavy that could be cut down to "FIT" them...allreday sighted in...good scope on it.....heavier gun= less recoil with say 100 grn. bullet...with sims pad on the felt recoil would be very minimal...I'd flip the $ for this whole thing as I want them to enjoy shooting/hunting!!!

also If an adult wants to use it they can..kinda short like a mini 14...but doable...if they want a longer pulll as they grow simply purchase a new stock for it!!

am I thinking wrong here or is it a good idea???

Last edited by farmdude01; 05-14-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

You can buy a howa youth rifle, It comes with 2 stocks a short stock for youth and standard length for when they get bigger.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dude - if its a wooden stock, I don't see any reason why a competent smith cannot cut the stock down and add a pad. As for an adult using it. You hit the nail on the head. I'm 5'9" and I actually prefer a 'youth' stock. It seems to 'lock on' better and I can hold it steadier than the same rifle in an adult version.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Like mentioned already, .243 or 7-08.....
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I'd stick with the 243. It has a noticeable decrease in kick over the 7mm08. Not a lot of difference for an adult, but the kids will definately feel it.

If your daughter doesn't hunt much, modifying the stock will work, but seeing as you have two granddaughters I'd suggest getting one of the youth, or short stock, rifles out there for them. Get them both the same new gun, and they can't argue over who gets what.

If you have one, a .44 magnum rifle has even less kick. My father has one that I used when I started hunting. I hope to get that rifle someday. It's older than I am, and sometimes passing on an older reliable gun has meaning as well.

I wish the best of luck to you and your family. No matter what you do, I hope everyone has fun.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my daughter a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 when she was 13. It's a very accurate rifle and she has killed 3 whitetails and a mule deer with it. No recoil to speak of and she shoots 140 gr Hornady's through it.

Good luck . . . Rob
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Why not just buy the shorter youth stock now so you dont have to buy a full length one later, seeings the gun already had a regular stock on it ?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

My suggestion...

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ung-bucks.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.