Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer? >

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

"You can buy a howa youth rifle, It comes with 2 stocks a short stock for youth and standard length for when they get bigger." Stapher1

+1 , but you need to buy two

............and that way you'll only need to buy them a rifle once; until they want other calibers.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have the right idea in cutting the original stock & fitting a Sims pad for it. When it comes time to buy a full size stock it'll be cheaper & easier to find than a youth stock.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by btnovotny
Why not just buy the shorter youth stock now so you dont have to buy a full length one later, seeings the gun already had a regular stock on it ?
I was thinking the same thing.
Or find a used savage model 110, in 243, you can get one for about the same price as a good youth stock.
And have the young person choke up un the forarm , and it will last untile their an adult.

JMHO
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jrbsr
I was thinking the same thing.
Or find a used savage model 110, in 243, you can get one for about the same price as a good youth stock.
And have the young person choke up un the forarm , and it will last untile their an adult.

JMHO
it was a youth stock but needed 2.5 inches more shortyening (lond youth stock..like 13" pull)...if a adult stock is wanted later/.... as stated above it will be much easier to find..and maybe cheaper
Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stapher1
You can buy a howa youth rifle, It comes with 2 stocks a short stock for youth and standard length for when they get bigger.
+1

Im a pretty true Remington fan, but these Howa's just plain shoot! Plus with 2 different 'hogue' brand stocks, you have a rifle that will last a lifetime! But as far as 243, I'd opt out of that caliber for anything bigger then deer. It WILL work for deer but a 7-08 will do better. You can get some 120 gr loads that are real nice to shoot and put a bit more hurtin' of the deer and such. JMHO
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pahntr760
+1
But as far as 243, I'd opt out of that caliber for anything bigger then deer. It WILL work for deer but a 7-08 will do better. You can get some 120 gr loads that are real nice to shoot and put a bit more hurtin' of the deer and such. JMHO
How much "more hurtin' of the deer and such" does "dead" qualify as?

Having used a .243 on deer and pronghorn for nearly 35 years now, the notion that the .243 is somehow less adequate for deer is pure baloney.

Don't be fooled. Not only is the .243 a great youth caliber, it's a versatile adult caliber as well - particularly if the largest game you hunt is deer.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to go with the H&R for the best bang for the buck.