Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
H&K P2000SK VS S&W M&P9Compact >

H&K P2000SK VS S&W M&P9Compact

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

H&K P2000SK VS S&W M&P9Compact

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Spike

Default H&K P2000SK VS S&W M&P9Compact

Anybody shot both and have any thoughts on which they prefer? I need something that can be operated left handed and there don't seem to be many others available.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have not shot these particular compact models. I have shot full size H&K and S&W M&P. IMO, H&K has better quality construction and is more reliable.

Have you looked at a single action 1911 or a Springfield XD or XDM?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Spike

Thanks Country. From what I could tell, the springfield's and the 1911 did not have slide releases that would operate for left hand people? Or at least I didn't see one. I'm really looking for something that can be operated left handed and one handed.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don'tdrink - as a fellow lefty, the magazine release is absoulutely no problem on the 1911. I just use my trigger finger to release the mag. And I have no trouble shooting in competitions. Actually I don't recall any auto pistols with a magazine release on the right side of the frame. But obviously you do want an ambidexterous safety. I have 3 1911s that I shoot - 1 each in .45ACP, 9mm, and .22LR.
I also have a Steyr M40 that I am selling on gunsamerica and I am looking for a 'tiny' 40S&W for concealed carry when not carrying a 1911. I am going to go with the Glock 27. I was looking at the 27 and also the M&P 40C. But the M&P will not fire without a mag inserted. I do not like that feature. I will be sending you a pm.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Spike

The H&K p2000 comes standard with slide and mag releases on both side of the gun and the M&P has a slide release on both sides and the mag release is reversible. The only other gun I could find with these option was the sig 250 but that interchangeable trigger thing scares me.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dontdrink - I believe you are putting too much emphasis on a totally left hand pistol in regard to the slide release on the right side. (and not only cause I have a pistol to sell). But in a typical shooting/combat situation the slide stop is rarely if ever used. If you do happen to empty a magazine and reload another, it is much easier and faster to manually rack the slide with your 'off' hand than be fumbling around for a slide release regardless of what side its on. This is also a good habit to get into in case you need to quickly clear a jam/stovepipe. Just something else for you to think about. More important is a handgun that fits your hand which in turn promotes more accurate shooting.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Spike

bronco, i definitely agree with you there. I actually have a M&P9 compact which is full ambi. the H&K's have just become available for sale here which is why I was inquiring about it's quality. I like the ambi controls because I can practice right and left handed using the exact same controls for both sides. Guess I've always just thought if I actually needed to use it, what if I don't have both hands???
Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ahhh, that's a whole other lesson - How to cycle a pistol with only one hand. Not that you would ever need it. But you use your belt, holster, or whatever to 'catch' your rear sight to cycle the action.