Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Final finish bore polish >

Final finish bore polish

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Final finish bore polish

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Final finish bore polish

Guys I hope this is the right forum to post this but my Dad got this product called final finish, it has 50 bullets in the kit, the first ten bullets are coated rough and the next ten bullets are not quite so rough and has you go on the bullets get a smoother finish. You shoot the rougher bullets first and the last ten are relativily smooth. You have to reload these bullets of course but what I want to know is does this work? I do not want to spend $40 with shipping to find out this does not work, if it does work I might consider getting some of it. Has any tried this stuff?
Thx for any information.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people swear by Tubb's Final Finish...others swear at it. My opinion is that on rough, non-premium barrels, it would be worth a try. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would be concerned that if a barrel is good to start with you'll make it rougher and then smooth it out and in the whole process enlarge the bore. A gun would have to shoot pretty poorly before I'd touch it.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just give it to a quality gunsmith and have him hand lap the barrel.

Then you know what you paid for - quality !
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Tubbs Final finish cost me 500 dollars for a new barrel. Oh, it smoothed it out but also rounded over the edges of the rifling.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have used it with great results on my Savage 116. I only used 1/2 the bullets. 5 of each different compound because I was paraniod it would mess up the barrel. It improved accuracy and it cleans much easier and faster than before.

I could only shoot 3 at a time and then would clean the barrel and let it cool because it got very hot.

Start with a clean barrel use a minimum charge and clean every 3 rounds and you will be good to go.

I would not recommend it unless you have a problem to solve. Like the barrel fouls bad and the gun is not really a shooter.

It was very effective in my gun.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Sheridan ditto.....................