HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   T/C Pro Hunter 50cal. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/339702-t-c-pro-hunter-50cal.html)

Dcnoble_07 02-05-2011 09:44 PM

T/C Pro Hunter 50cal.

I purchased a pro hunter last year in 50cal. muzzleloader and have been doing a lot of experiencing with it. This gun has been a complete nightmare compared to my T/C Black Diamond 45cal i purchased 5 years ago. I'm really contemplating selling it right now. The Pro Hunter will not group at all at 100yds and neither will a friend of mines, and we have shot literally about every powder, powder weight, bullet, and bullet weight out of them. We had 5inch groups at 100yds with 110gr BH and 300gr shockwaves but thats terrible in my eyes. But on the other hand both of our black diamonds group really good. What is going on with T/C and what do you suggest i do. Im looking for a Knight Long Range Hunter but there not easy to find, any other suggestions on this matter would greatly help.

Michael396 02-06-2011 08:04 AM

Try JB Bore paste. I have the same problem and that was the recommendation for me to try. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet so I can't say for sure that it worked. TC customer service told me to shoot 100 rounds of conicals through it and if that doesn't work then I could send it back.

keyshunter 02-07-2011 03:13 AM

My Encore 50 was miserable from day one. I spent a bunch of money trying different loads. smoothing the bore, etc. Big groups with flyers were still prevalent. I limited my shots at deer to 100 yards, because the groups gave me no confidence beyond that distance. Finally, I discovered the Bellm web site. I replaced the hinge pin, and internal springs, and stoned the trigger surfaces. I believe that the loose hinge pin and weak lock spring were responsible for the slop in the barrel/action junction, which is now gone. The groups are now consistently under 2 moa with just about any load I try.

falcon 02-07-2011 05:13 AM

Bought my Encore as a muzzleloader. The thing was a total disaster. There was a huge amount of side play in the barrel. The hinge pin was out of round and the thimbles were loose. First day at the range the fiber optic fell out of the front sight. Had to take the darn thing apart to remove the breech plug. Not to worry, the savvy aftermarket guys at TC had the covered with a pricey swing extractor. The bore of my gun was very rought and hard to load. After two or three sessions with a ramrod, patches and jewelers rouge it smoothed out.

The only darn thing good about my gun was the trigger pull. It breaks like glass at 3.5 pounds.

i will spare you the stuff about the five centerfire barrels that i bought for that gun; total disaster.

Bought a stronger hammer spring and the locking springs from Bellms. Bought an oversized hinge pin. The gun is now very accurate but i still have a bad taste of crap in my mouth.

The darn barrel still has more side play than that of my 61 year old Winchester model 37 single barrel shotgun which has no side play. It is a very sad commentary on TC that a 60 year old shot gun fits tighter than their expensive Encore.

IMO: The Encore is a sad joke.

onetohunt 02-07-2011 07:57 AM

I had a Pro Hunter once, drank the kool-aid, and that was the biggest dissappointment in high dollar muzzleloaders I could have made. I had a very good shooting Knight Disc and sold it and bought the TC. Well I could not get that gun to shoot worth a flip no matter what I done, who knows maybe it and I just did not bond for whatever reason. At any rate, I sold the TC and bought another Knight, boy is it ever great to shoot good groups again.

bigbulls 02-08-2011 07:02 PM

Sell the gun, cut your losses and get a dedicated ML like a CVA accura or optima, TC Omega, Traditions vortek.

That's what TC is doing..... All the way to the bank!

SJAdventures 02-12-2011 08:31 PM

Wow I must be one lucky Pro Hunter owner. I have the 50 cal Pro Hunter and mine shoots moa or close to it with almost everything I shove down the barrel. Right now I am shooting 1" groups at 100 yds with a 250gr Barnes TMZ with a Harvester yellow crushed rib sabot sitting on top of 105 gr of BH 209, Win 209 primers. It also shoots 1" groups at 100 with a 250gr TC shockwave using a harvester black crushed rib sabot sitting on 115gr of BH 209, win 209 primers. I love mine and it is the best shooting rifle I have owned including my Rem 700.

dlrpainting 11-26-2012 03:48 PM

I also have the TC 50 cal pro hunter. The gun looks great it carrys great and shoots like crap. It cost me a 170 class buck in ohio last fall. I have tried numerous combos of powder and bullets. Currently shooting 100 grains pyrodex with 250 grain barnes bullets. I shoot two shots dead on at 100 yds then the next few are 10 inches off. I dont know what to do. Now i have missed three out of four broadside shots at nice deer. After missing ill go to the range and its the same crap. Some good shots some bad. What a waste of $800. Now nobody wants to buy it.. HELP!!!

nysmoker 11-28-2012 03:21 PM

Guess I am holding the only other right out of the box good shooting pro hunter ever made......love the trigger ... shoots under 2 inches at 100 yds with 3/ 50gr pellets of 777 crush rib sabots and 240 grain xtps.

bigbuck57 12-04-2012 10:23 AM

Muzzleloader

Have two tc Omegas both shoot great.