Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Ruger M77 Hawkeye VS Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe >

Ruger M77 Hawkeye VS Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye VS Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I doubt what ever caused the jam had anything to do with it being a push feed since the bullet has to be out of the magazine before it can fully be inline with the bolt face anyway, so then i would imagine that whatever caused the jam, to have happened while the bullet/s was being fed from the magazine, all the CRF does,that I can tell, is enable the bullet be pulled and pushed to and from the chamber, AFTER it leaves the magazine, I believe. Ive noticed feeding problems with every boltgun I ever owned, including M77s, its always because the bullets are not seated proerly in the mag, but thats just my experience. It all depends what you expect out of a rifle, if you like a light, crisp, use-adjustable trigger then yes, there is somthing wrong with ruger, if you desire a variety of choices in mounting optics, then yes, theres somthing wrong with ruger, if you want a rifle that doesnt have a stupid angled front action screw, inconvienently placed under the trapdoor hinge, than yes theres a problem with ruger.

I guess if you want a gun that will snap shoot and hit a giant beast at 50yds, then a ruger will do just fine, but I dont see why it would be any better than any other rifle chambered in a DG caliber

Then thats all Id say, really matters
It is too bad that you persist in this. The fact that you happen to like a different rifle better does not make Ruger a bad rifle. I am a Remington fan also, but sometimes Ruger is a better choice.
You have your opinion that I respect, except for insulting other people's equipment. Your knowledge of DGRs and crf rifles is thin. I believe that you are pushing this too far. If your purpose is to create friction, well done.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
It is too bad that you persist in this. The fact that you happen to like a different rifle better does not make Ruger a bad rifle. I am a Remington fan also, but sometimes Ruger is a better choice.
You have your opinion that I respect, except for insulting other people's equipment. Your knowledge of DGRs and crf rifles is thin. I believe that you are pushing this too far. If your purpose is to create friction, well done.
I never said its a 'bad rifle', all I said is specific things I do not like about rugers, and compared CRF to push fed, in response to your vague, unsubstantiated claims, but since my knowledge is so thin, why dont you educate me, and tell me specifically why a push feed will jam more than a CRF. Why dont you adress the claims Ive made about the trigger, the rings, the action screw , would it be cause maybe, even though it doesnt make it a "bad rifle" for many applications, what Ive said is largely true?

BTW the whole point of the review forum is to discuss things you like/dont about certain guns, dont take it so personally.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I never said its a 'bad rifle', all I said is specific things I do not like about rugers, and compared CRF to push fed, in response to your vague, unsubstantiated claims, but since my knowledge is so thin, why dont you educate me, and tell me specifically why a push feed will jam more than a CRF. Why dont you adress the claims Ive made about the trigger, the rings, the action screw , would it be cause maybe, even though it doesnt make it a "bad rifle" for many applications, what Ive said is largely true?

BTW the whole point of the review forum is to discuss things you like/dont about certain guns, dont take it so personally.
Keyboard wars are a waste of time. You are creating the type of friction that produces heat, but no light.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as Rugers scope rings, they are not all tall. Ruger has four different size rings that you can get, Low-32mm, Medium-42mm, High-52mm, and X-High-62mm. As far as the extractors go, Ruger is a far better set up than either the Savage or the Remington. I had a Savage model 111 that I bought last year, in 30-06, that I shot a some reloads that I had worked up for my Remington 700, well it was too hot of a load for the Savage, case was sticking so I bumped the bolt handle backwards to remove it, well the bolt came back with no case, it ripped the extractor out of the bolt, I found the extractor and the spring but couldnt find the ballbearing, I ended up fixing it with a BB. had to go home and knock the case out with a cleaning rod. This would not have been a issue had it been a Ruger with the large claw extractor, CRF system, it would have either pulled the case out or ripped the rim off the case. This is one of the reasons Ruger makes a better DG rifle than a rifle that is a PF type system, if this kind of thing happened at the wrong time while faced by a charging Cape Buffalo, things would get pretty hairy fast. By the way this was the first day out with the Savage when that happened, I sold the gun the next day.

Last edited by fritz1; 01-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have several of the M-77's MKII's, one Hawkeye and one old tang safety M-77V.I have them from 223 up to 300 Win mag including a 350 Rem Mag. I sure wouldn't have bought all I have if the Ruger's weren't a good rifle. Personally I like the integral rings. They are very strong and I have never had them loosen or the scope move using them.

Some I will admit has never been fired. The ones I have, I've been very satisfied with. They will do their part if I do mine. Plus Made in the USA keeping our people working. Ruger stands behind their products. I've been a Ruger fan for over 30 years and have no plans of changing now.

I don't see a problem with the angled stock bolt. I've taken many a stock off and never had a problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Fork Horn

Again, this is a good dilemma to have, as IMHO either rifle will serve you well. Kind of odd how all the chest thumping BS about charging buffaloes and PF vs. CRF got thrown into the mix, some guys have awfully vivid imaginations
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CommonSense
Again, this is a good dilemma to have, as IMHO either rifle will serve you well. Kind of odd how all the chest thumping BS about charging buffaloes and PF vs. CRF got thrown into the mix, some guys have awfully vivid imaginations
Wasn't the OP talking about a .243 Varmint rifle? I'm not sure I can avoid chuckling a bit when I imagine stopping the charge of an ill-tempered prairie dog with one of my .243s.

Ahh, that's the wonderful thing about the choices we have, though. Some things work better than others, depending upon the application.

What kind of varmints are we talking here? The kind you walk and find? Or the kind you sit on a hill and shoot at all morning? One application prefers a light rifle, the other tends toward some benchrest or target features that aren't so concerned about weight.

The Vanguard does give you some options when it comes to mounting optics. I don't know that I'd say that it's a liability with the Ruger, though - I have a No. 1-B in .243 with Ruger's rings that's never given me a hint of trouble.

To me, the M77 seems a bit "clunkier", or "chunkier" than does the Vanguard. I don't necessarily like the triggers on either, but if I were stuck with one of them, I'd take the Vanguard. I've seen aftermarket triggers for the Vanguard, don't think I remember seeing the same for the Ruger. Trigger can be important in a Varmint gun, I really like my CZs for that reason.

I've used all manner of handles under Varmint guns. Walnut, hardwood, Laminated, and Synthetic. Even out in the cold chasing coyotes in the winter, the stocks gave me less problem than did the optics. I'd worry more about those than I would whether it's walnut or laminated.

The one Vanguard I do own was sub-MOA right out of the Wal-Mart I bought it at (obviously, not one of the more expensive versions). Light, and in .300 Wby, it's certainly not the most pleasant thing to shoot, but it's done its duty on elk. I love my 1-B and my Ruger Revolvers, but I'm not so much the fan of the later M77s. The last M77 I carried that shot as well as my Vanguard had the old tang safety.

Of the two rifles and the caliber you're considering here, I think my vote would be for the Vanguard.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several aftermarket triggers available for the Ruger M77 MKII, here are a few, Dayton Traister, Jard, Moyers, Rifle Basix, and Timney. There are more.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
There are several aftermarket triggers available for the Ruger M77 MKII, here are a few, Dayton Traister, Jard, Moyers, Rifle Basix, and Timney. There are more.
That's good to know.

It'll be a great day when I finally get around to replacing the triggers I don't like on ANY of the rifles I currently own. It'll be an even greater day when none of us have to even consider replacing the trigger on a brand-new rifle.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
That's good to know.

It'll be a great day when I finally get around to replacing the triggers I don't like on ANY of the rifles I currently own. It'll be an even greater day when none of us have to even consider replacing the trigger on a brand-new rifle.
VERY TRUE!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.