Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

T/C ProHunter

Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Spike

Ok thanks. I didn't know all that but just saw it in the ad and thought it would be cool...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geesh there aren't any legal issues with swapping barrels and stocks on TC pro hunters so long as you keep hand gun with hand gun and long gun with long gun.

If you have a hand gun grip on the frame then have a barrel shorter than 16 inches on it.

If you have the full stock on the frame then have a barrel longer than 16 inches on it.

As far as the gun goes...... if you like paying three times what it's worth then knock yourself out. For what a simple barrel costs for the PH you can get an entire bolt action rifle. It would be one thing if the barrels were of the quality of Krieger or similar but they aren't. It's a simple cast frame receiver with tupperware plastic or utility grade walnut stocks, and standard grade production barrels that have to support a huge marketing campaign. So in the end the consumer that falls for the TC hype gets to pay a hell of a lot more for the rifle than they are worth.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
As far as the gun goes...... if you like paying three times what it's worth then knock yourself out. For what a simple barrel costs for the PH you can get an entire bolt action rifle. It would be one thing if the barrels were of the quality of Krieger or similar but they aren't. It's a simple cast frame receiver with tupperware plastic or utility grade walnut stocks, and standard grade production barrels that have to support a huge marketing campaign. So in the end the consumer that falls for the TC hype gets to pay a hell of a lot more for the rifle than they are worth.
You can get a PH barrel in SS for less than $300 and a blued barrel even cheaper still. Can you get a whole rifle worth having for less than that?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Geesh there aren't any legal issues with swapping barrels and stocks on TC pro hunters so long as you keep hand gun with hand gun and long gun with long gun.

If you have a hand gun grip on the frame then have a barrel shorter than 16 inches on it.

If you have the full stock on the frame then have a barrel longer than 16 inches on it.

You should buy a set up and call and see if an ATF agent would like to come watch you manufacture a rifle on a frame that is registered as a pistol. It is legal to make a rifle into a handgun but it is illegal to ever configure it as a rifle again. The frames are registered as a short or long gun so it does make a difference. Odds of getting caught are slim but I would prefer to buy 2 frames than to be the one that did get caught.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can get a PH barrel in SS for less than $300 and a blued barrel even cheaper still.
Really? Where? If they are selling ss pro hunter barrels for less than $300 they sure aren't making a profit and are just swapping money from one hand to another.

You should buy a set up and call and see if an ATF agent would like to come watch you manufacture a rifle on a frame that is registered as a pistol. It is legal to make a rifle into a handgun but it is illegal to ever configure it as a rifle again. The frames are registered as a short or long gun so it does make a difference. Odds of getting caught are slim but I would prefer to buy 2 frames than to be the one that did get caught.
I don't need to call any one. I know what the law is.

You obviously haven't dealt with too many ATF agents. Try calling them and get an answer to a legal question. Then call and speak to another ATF agent and ask the same question. Do it two or three more times. Bet you get at least two or three contradicting answers.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/91-0164.ZO.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...r_Arms_Company

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

The consumer isn't "manufacturing" anything by changing from one to the other. The fact is the encore frames are manufactured to be either or. It is the owners responsibility to have the correct corresponding stocks and barrels installed on the frame.

Last edited by bigbulls; 01-27-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Really? Where? If they are selling ss pro hunter barrels for less than $300 they sure aren't making a profit and are just swapping money from one hand to another.
You can get them here for just under $300 and TC seems to run a $50 rebate often enough.

http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com...%20Barrel%2028
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love mine in 50 cal ml and it is a shooter.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I had an Encore when they first came out in 7-08. Yeah the $ was pretty steep but I figured I could change barrels for more versatility. Well that rifle when back to T/C twice for problems getting it to fire some factory loads and handloads. And the accuracy was horrible. The best I could do was about 2 1/2" @ 100. I traded that rifle in post haste and got me a Browning Micro Hunter in the same chambering.

I've gt one in 7=08 also. Broke the walnut stock on the first one (no clue how) right back near the receiver. Sprung the coin for a flextech stock... gun won't shoot factory loads under 3". I have shot about every handload I can try out of it and have only once seen the gun shoot under 1". Probably a fluke.

I gave it to my girlfriend because she doesn't like to take shots much over 150 yards. Loaded some 120gr TSX bullets in it and we can get it to do about 1.5 to 2" groups at that range. I'd never EVER buy another one. EVER!