HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   ruger hawkeye all weather questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/331539-ruger-hawkeye-all-weather-questions.html)

kittitascountyhunter 10-09-2010 04:18 PM

ruger hawkeye all weather questions

I am wondering about rugers all weather rifle, how does it perform in less than ideal conditions? does the stock feel cheap? does the finish stand up in wet weather? i own a hawkeye standard in 30/06 and am quite pleased with it. feel free to comment on this rifle or suggest one in a similer price range.

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-09-2010 05:27 PM

I have not shot one - but I saw one - actually a couple on the rack at the gun shop the other day and they looked nice, but I wouldn't believe everything that a gun writer writes about a gun - because after all that is their job and that is how they are paid.

If you already have a gun that you are comfortable with and does a good job, I wouldn't risk buying a new gun today and risking the chance that it isn't as good as what you already had.

Adjustable trigger might be good for someone that shoots a lot of targets, but real world experiences tells me that sometimes you shoot a deer when you see it and not when you are prepared to shoot a deer. When that happens - it really doesn't matter what kind of trigger is on a rifle.

Bernie P. 10-10-2010 06:54 AM

Here's mine-

It's a .280 with Leupold 2.5-10.Out of the box it shoots well under 1"@100 yds.I have hunted with it in temps from a high of 50 down to 12 degrees in sun,rain,snow.It performs great under any conditions.The trigger is a little heavy but other than that I love it.

kittitascountyhunter 10-10-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3699348)
The trigger is a little heavy but other than that I love it.

I hear a lot about the triggers yet, the one on mine does not bother me. i also hear that they preform quite well in cold weather (which must be true if you use them in upstate NY) but, how reliably do they preform under constant rain (i often hunt the very wet rainforests of the pacific north-west)?

Bernie P. 10-11-2010 06:16 AM

Between the SS and synthetic stock rain or anything else won't be a problem.Nasty weather is what they're all about.It will take Alaska' weather or Florida' if need be without issue.Not as pretty as wood but otherwise it's great.

Mr. Deer Hunter 10-13-2010 07:28 AM

I think that the Ruger is a real nice gun.

But even with my dad's Remington 721 Billy Club, weather was never a problem.

I don't think that a person needs a Tupperware stock and stainless steel barrel and action to make a gun a good all around weather warrior. Most any gun that is cared for properly will shoot in even the most adverse weather conditions.

All it takes is too much oil in the bolt to make the bolt freeze up and stop working.
I had it happen once on the 721 and learned that kerosene is the best gun lubricant - not gun oil.

Ruger-Redhawk 10-14-2010 04:54 PM

I have several of the Ruger M-77 MKII All Weather's and one Hawkeye with a camo synthetic stock. I really like the All Weather's. I have never taken the Hawkeye out so I can say anything good or bad about it.
I've been hunting year after year with a M77 MKII A.W. in 7 mag.It's been in some nasty weather and except for a few marks looks like the day I bought it.

Ruger's triggers do leave allot to be desired. Someone who knows what they are doing and make them in to a good trigger. My hunting 7 mag breaks at just under 3 pounds.