Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage 111 FCXP3

Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage 111 FCXP3

Looking at getting one in .300 win mag. Anyone own one? Whats your thoughts on it? What ammo have you found works good in gun(I know diffrent for everyone and every gun)?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/111FCXP3

Last edited by 7danny; 10-05-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stay away from packages !

Buy accutrigger and accustock models................

BTW - buy the cheapest bulk ammo you can find and spend more money on a need be basis verses desired accuracy.

If nothing else, use the cheap stuff for barrel break-in……………………….

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Stay away from packages !

Buy accutrigger and accustock models................
I agree, get the accu trigger. The accustock seems good, but isn't something you have to have imo. The accu trigger is almost something I wouldn't buy a Savage without.

BTW as for packages I think the one at Walmart for the model 10 is pretty good. It has the accu trigger, and is the best price I've seen. Just throw the crappy scope away, and you're in business.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have one in 30-06. It works well, really like the accutrigger. Seems plenty accurate for the shooting I will be doing (max 200 yards).
Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savages are awesome rifles! Every guy I talked to who owns a Savage, has said that his rifle likes to shoot Federal ammo. Don't know why, don't understand it, but I guess it's the way it is. My Savage in .308 loves Federal Premium Vital Shok with either the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Nosler Partition.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Savages are awesome rifles! Every guy I talked to who owns a Savage, has said that his rifle likes to shoot Federal ammo. Don't know why, don't understand it, but I guess it's the way it is. My Savage in .308 loves Federal Premium Vital Shok with either the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Nosler Partition.
I've got a few friends that hunt with them. One shoots Remington ammo in his and it shoots fine, but he hasn't tried any other ammo's. Another one is in .243 and it shoots around .8" groups with both Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Points. If you shoot hand loads with a 95 grain Hornady SST the groups drop down to around .4-.5". They just are great shooting guns and the few I've seen have not been picky at all when it comes to ammo.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd forget the package and buy your own stuff to top it off. If you can, skip the plain stocked model and go for the accustock. I think they may be standard now. I own one in 7RM with a plain stock and it sucks. Pretty flimsy. I'm betting the accustock doesn't suck so bad with some reinforcement. But in the end it shoots straight and I personally like the accutrigger, at its lightest. Can't speak particulars on ammo, as I've never shot factory loads through it but I've ran 120-154gr bullets through it, primarily hornady and they've all worked and it hasn't been picky at all for acceptable accuracy.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.

I am on a very tight budget and lucky the wife is OK-ing this much right now. That is why I am looking at the package. It gets me out shooting to start. From there I can upgrade optics and accesories. Start reloading. Then I can upgrade rifles down the road.

If I had the money I would buy the 116 FHSAK and build on it. But I have to get out there shooting with something(besides my bow and black powder).
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you aren't shooting much very far (say, 300 yard deer gun style), the package equipment will probably suit you fine for now. Chances are, the rifle will be a straight shooter.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Z
If you aren't shooting much very far (say, 300 yard deer gun style), the package equipment will probably suit you fine for now. Chances are, the rifle will be a straight shooter.

Right now I am in the Carolinas, shots under 300 yds, maybe one or two chances to get out a little further.

But we are thinking of moving out west(that's why the 300 win mag and not 308) so will have to upgrade scope for sure then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.