HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Win 70 classic bad barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/330337-win-70-classic-bad-barrel.html)

Pioneer2 09-22-2010 09:08 AM

Win 70 classic bad barrel

I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either! Sad customer service to say the least...................A friend bought one of the new Savage accu-stocked .338's and right out of the box 1/2 MOA over and over again...................Harold.........a former Winchester fan!

Sheridan 09-22-2010 09:31 AM

Wow, not good news............................

Sorry to hear that ! :-(

Wish you the best with your efforts in getting it fixed.

dylan_b 09-22-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3687374)
I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either! Sad customer service to say the least...................A friend bought one of the new Savage accu-stocked .338's and right out of the box 1/2 MOA over and over again...................Harold.........a former Winchester fan!

it sounds strange that there would be chatter marks in a hammer forged barrel but i guess its possible that they used a dirty/dull gundrill, used a bad/thin cutting fluid or ran the reamer to fast. if your gun is made under the old winchester there is a very good chance the barrel was drilled with no coolant to flush the chips, as ive seen barrels with this exact problem. if that is what happened, the beginning of the rifling will be sharp near the chamber but the lands will have ruff patches nearing the muzzle. under the old winchester, gene gunning of selkirk manitoba was the official canadian gunsmith. hes apprently had a brain injury since then so he might not be doing any smith work. good luck with your rifle and i hope it can get fixed somehow

bigcountry 09-22-2010 10:54 AM

I thought the new win 70's were from FN and made here?

Anyway, I doubt the are chatter marks, as they are hammer forged .

I highly recommend staying away from firelapping. I ruined a barrel with it. Smoothed over all the rifling.

Best thing to do is get someone that knows how to properly handlap a barrel. Any gunsmith can.

You can to a point with bore mop and 600grit lapping compound.

Pioneer2 09-22-2010 11:55 AM

It is the old version before FN.I got it NIB and went from there...................I hope the fire lapping helps smooth things out as it shoots before it bungs up with copper jacket..............I have the matching Model 70 FWT SS in .270 and It don't care what you feed it MOA or less.................Harold ...Will hopefully get it lapped and behaving before my elk/moose hunt in mid Nov.Otherwise I'll 9.3x62 e'm...........the barrel is NFG as is so what can I do that is worse?

keyshunter 09-23-2010 04:00 AM

I think the OP is saying is that HE is in Canada.

Pioneer2 09-23-2010 09:57 AM

The Winchester warranty guy I chatted with was still a little bitter about the Cobourg plant in Ontario closing with no warning to head office.So I didn't get anywhere with him..........Yes I'm in Alberta Canada...........Winchester said they had no gunsmith /warranty sites in Canada...................Harold

Mr. Deer Hunter 09-24-2010 06:15 PM

The NIB part is what throws me off every time.

If a person really wanted advice, they should describe the date of manufacture and the serial number and not NIB - because new in box, means to me that it is a brand new rifle. Sometimes the correct term should be Left Over Stock which would tell me that it is a " " new / old rifle.

Pioneer2 09-25-2010 09:40 AM

NIB is what it says, when the gun is 10 years old or 100 but new unfired in original wrapping.I have a Savage 99 butstock from the 50's that is NIB never been on a gun with factory box............................PS no one gives serial #'s ever..................Harold

Pawildman 09-25-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3687493)
It is the old version before FN.I got it NIB and went from there...................I hope the fire lapping helps smooth things out as it shoots before it bungs up with copper jacket..............I have the matching Model 70 FWT SS in .270 and It don't care what you feed it MOA or less.................Harold ...Will hopefully get it lapped and behaving before my elk/moose hunt in mid Nov.Otherwise I'll 9.3x62 e'm...........the barrel is NFG as is so what can I do that is worse?

........ I guess I'd be just a little nervous about the fire lapping, but if things are as bad as you indicate, you're right... it probably can't hurt to try it.

........ Seems to me the obvious alternative is a re-barreling... or maybe a trade-in on a new one? Time is getting close...

jeepkid 09-25-2010 12:49 PM

Well it shoots good for about 30 shots right? What type of moose do you hunt that you have to shoot 30+ times to take one down?

Vapodog 09-25-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3687374)
I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either!

How did they get the gun to Canada in the first place?.....

Winchester rifling isn't cut....it's hammer forged.....

Frankly I read nothing but BS in your post and no credibility is given to anything else you have said!

Pioneer2 09-25-2010 02:00 PM

Now I know how a proctologist feels after a busy day.Tired of dealing with a$$holes.Never mind Iv;e only been hunting /shooting/collecting for 45 + years you obviously are too arrogant to be civil...................I'm done here..............my accuracy standard is MOA or less with a bolt gun or it's sold.........and I've likely shot more moose than you've seen..............

Vapodog 09-25-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3689523)
Now I know how a proctologist feels after a busy day.Tired of dealing with a$$holes.Never mind Iv;e only been hunting /shooting/collecting for 45 + years you obviously are too arrogant to be civil...................I'm done here..............my accuracy standard is MOA or less with a bolt gun or it's sold.........and I've likely shot more moose than you've seen..............

You come here bitching and maligning Winchester and nothing to support it.....at least nothing of substance! Now your justification is that you have shot more moose than I have and shoot MOA.....It's hard to connect those dots. No....impossible.....you're irrational!

I'll bet you think this is all Bush's fault too!!!!!

bigcountry 09-25-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vapodog (Post 3689529)
You come here bitching and maligning Winchester and nothing to support it.....at least nothing of substance! Now your justification is that you have shot more moose than I have and shoot MOA.....It's hard to connect those dots. No....impossible.....you're irrational!

I'll bet you think this is all Bush's fault too!!!!!

While I sorta agree with you, I do find it comical, you seem to always go to this GW Bush thing or obama thing.

Pioneer2 09-25-2010 04:14 PM

Perhaps he has limited resources?As a right wing Conservative ,I liked both of the Bush Administrations? I'd be more concerned about what you have in office now.When I spend a grand on a rifle I don't think I should be needing to putting additional cash into it when it's obvious with a borescope that the bore is rough and is copper fouling.I'll firelap ,going slowly as to not overdo it.If I end up rebarreling.....oh well.....It will be a maker that backs their barrels...........

Vapodog 09-25-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 3689555)
you seem to always go to this GW Bush thing or obama thing.

Simply a way to make an analogy of irrationality!

dylan_b 09-27-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vapodog (Post 3689502)
How did they get the gun to Canada in the first place?.....

Winchester rifling isn't cut....it's hammer forged.....

Frankly I read nothing but BS in your post and no credibility is given to anything else you have said!

the guns can be shipped here easily under large commercial shipments, single shipments to private citizens without the proper paperwork can be hard to get past our border customs. even shiping scopes can be tricky if you arent "authorized". if you are thinking this is bs, your not the only one trust me.

all production barrels are cut at one point or another, even hammer forged and button rifled barrels. if they are left rough, the mandrel or button die will not fix the problem across the lands, although the process does take some of the roughness out. if you have looked down any new production barrel that hasnt been lapped you will see what im talking about. another problem can be that if loose chips and dust is left in the barrel, it will ruin the mandrel and the chips will be embedded in the lands and grooves.

Pioneer2 09-30-2010 05:48 AM

Finally, someone with some grey matter!