Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Win 70 classic bad barrel >

Win 70 classic bad barrel

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Win 70 classic bad barrel

Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Win 70 classic bad barrel

I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either! Sad customer service to say the least...................A friend bought one of the new Savage accu-stocked .338's and right out of the box 1/2 MOA over and over again...................Harold.........a former Winchester fan!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, not good news............................

Sorry to hear that ! :-(

Wish you the best with your efforts in getting it fixed.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pioneer2
I have a NIB .338 in SS Classic model 70 that shoots good under MOA for about 30 shots then copper fouls so bad they're barely on a plate.The gunsmith took a peak with a bore scope and there are chatter marks from the rifling being cut from the factory.Will have to try firelapping the bore {NECO] as Winchester a multi-million dollar company doesn't have export permits to send my gun back to Canada!And they didn't have the foresight to have a Warranty repair Gunsmith here either! Sad customer service to say the least...................A friend bought one of the new Savage accu-stocked .338's and right out of the box 1/2 MOA over and over again...................Harold.........a former Winchester fan!
it sounds strange that there would be chatter marks in a hammer forged barrel but i guess its possible that they used a dirty/dull gundrill, used a bad/thin cutting fluid or ran the reamer to fast. if your gun is made under the old winchester there is a very good chance the barrel was drilled with no coolant to flush the chips, as ive seen barrels with this exact problem. if that is what happened, the beginning of the rifling will be sharp near the chamber but the lands will have ruff patches nearing the muzzle. under the old winchester, gene gunning of selkirk manitoba was the official canadian gunsmith. hes apprently had a brain injury since then so he might not be doing any smith work. good luck with your rifle and i hope it can get fixed somehow
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

I thought the new win 70's were from FN and made here?

Anyway, I doubt the are chatter marks, as they are hammer forged .

I highly recommend staying away from firelapping. I ruined a barrel with it. Smoothed over all the rifling.

Best thing to do is get someone that knows how to properly handlap a barrel. Any gunsmith can.

You can to a point with bore mop and 600grit lapping compound.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

It is the old version before FN.I got it NIB and went from there...................I hope the fire lapping helps smooth things out as it shoots before it bungs up with copper jacket..............I have the matching Model 70 FWT SS in .270 and It don't care what you feed it MOA or less.................Harold ...Will hopefully get it lapped and behaving before my elk/moose hunt in mid Nov.Otherwise I'll 9.3x62 e'm...........the barrel is NFG as is so what can I do that is worse?

Last edited by Pioneer2; 09-22-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: more
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

I think the OP is saying is that HE is in Canada.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

The Winchester warranty guy I chatted with was still a little bitter about the Cobourg plant in Ontario closing with no warning to head office.So I didn't get anywhere with him..........Yes I'm in Alberta Canada...........Winchester said they had no gunsmith /warranty sites in Canada...................Harold
Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

The NIB part is what throws me off every time.

If a person really wanted advice, they should describe the date of manufacture and the serial number and not NIB - because new in box, means to me that it is a brand new rifle. Sometimes the correct term should be Left Over Stock which would tell me that it is a " " new / old rifle.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

NIB is what it says, when the gun is 10 years old or 100 but new unfired in original wrapping.I have a Savage 99 butstock from the 50's that is NIB never been on a gun with factory box............................PS no one gives serial #'s ever..................Harold
Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pioneer2
It is the old version before FN.I got it NIB and went from there...................I hope the fire lapping helps smooth things out as it shoots before it bungs up with copper jacket..............I have the matching Model 70 FWT SS in .270 and It don't care what you feed it MOA or less.................Harold ...Will hopefully get it lapped and behaving before my elk/moose hunt in mid Nov.Otherwise I'll 9.3x62 e'm...........the barrel is NFG as is so what can I do that is worse?

........ I guess I'd be just a little nervous about the fire lapping, but if things are as bad as you indicate, you're right... it probably can't hurt to try it.

........ Seems to me the obvious alternative is a re-barreling... or maybe a trade-in on a new one? Time is getting close...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.