Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed >

Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Ok.. I wasn't going to post cuz I replies to a few threads already... But have already got a few pm's asking for information.. So here is my post on this subject.

I am by no means a gun expert and not an expert shot either. But I have had quite a few slug guns in my past, some very expensive ones. All have been 12 ga. though..

I recently bought two 20 ga. slug guns. I bought a H&R USH with a thumbhole stock and I bought the newer Savage 220F, black slug gun.

After running through many different kinds of slugs (maybe 10 different) I have found that the Remington Premier Accutip 3" Slugs are shooting the best out of my two guns. Not a surprise on the faster twist Savage, but kind of surprised at the USH being that is has a slower twist rate bbl.

Either way, the H&R is topped with a VXII 3-9x40 and I have the tigger just below 3 lbs. The Savage is topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and I have lapped in the bolt and the accutrigger is breaking just a touch over 3lbs.

The H&R is shooting consistent 1" groups at 100 yards. The Savage 220f is shooting consistent 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I went out today and just zero'd both guns for the deer season this year. I zero'd them at 100 and they both shot about a 1", 3 shot group close enough to center for me.
Only down side it seems like the 20's peter out quickly after 100 yards. I can group at 200 yards but I'm about 13 inches low.

I will post a couple pics of the targets like some have asked. Oh, and these groups are from a bench with sand bags, gun rested on my shoulder. mid 70's, light cross winds...

Pics to follow
Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok.. So a few pics, I am no photographer either.. But I tried.. lol
Attached Thumbnails Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed-savage-.75.jpg   Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed-savage.jpg   Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed-h-r.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the H&R using Hornady SST slugs, and getting great groups, my next purchase will be the 220
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Just curious, what did the Savage end up costing you?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

I ordered the black one for 429 they tried for 3 weeks to get it and could not. This is in July. He sold me the camo one he had in the store for the same price. It was marked 469.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Spike

ive been reading alot about the h&r and also that 220f. im really liking the savage.. i have the model 93r in .17hmr and i love that gun. ive always been a remington man but i really like those accutriggers. by next gun season i hope to have a 220f. with the rate these slugs are improving 200 yards wth a 20 ga is no longer a dream. currently i have my remington 870 express set up as a slug only gun. i have the hastings 24" barrel and leupold mount and nikon 3x9. i would like to get the barrel pinned and thought about sending it to tar hunt for the conversion but i figured ive already bought the barrel and mount and no sense wasting the money. i finally found some slugs it liked and dropped a 200# buck last season at 170 yards with the setup with a single 3" winchester sabot. the xp3 didnt want to group for and i assumed it was because i was shooting a 2 3/4 in a 3" chamber. the sst out to 150 grouped well for me and that surprised me being 2 3/4. but this 220f looked real nice and im itching to add it to the collection
Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

My buddy has been borrowing my backup 870 slug gun the past few seasons. I made him just purchase a 220f. He paid $525 for the black stock.
They were $475 a couple of months ago, he put if off and now paid a premium. The good news is I'll be sighting it in for him. Can't wait!
I'll try the SST and the Federal Barnes. I know the Barnes pattern well because my other buddy has a 220f. His 9 year old took a doe at 17 yds and a yote at 51 yds last night during the youth gun season.

I alway preach to shoot as much as possible. My buddy who has been borrowing my 870 missed a few deer last year under 75 yds. He was blaming the gun was off. He comes back to camp bitching, I took the gun, gave it to another buddy to test fire it at a pumpkin at 50 yds off hand.
Ummm!

Last edited by Bucktail_Bob; 10-10-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

1" and 3/4" groups at 100yds is insane for a slug! that's awesome, I'm getting a 220F when I can!

I thought I read somewhere that the rem accutips were designed for the slower twists of the rem barrels, etc...something like that, but I think that was in relation to the 12gauges, I think there may be more variance in the 12's than the 20's, in regard to twist rates.

13" of drop from dead on at 100 to 200 doesn't seem that bad to me, bullets drop, and slugs going 2000fps are a big difference from bullets going 3000+ fps

how good are those groups at 200? even if you could get good groups at 150...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

" 1" and 3/4" groups at 100yds is insane for a slug! that's awesome, I'm getting a 220F when I can! "

+ 1 ...............and rifles are legal in CA.

BTW - That's a good shot off hand !

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-10-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

What scope bases and what size rings are you all using on your 220F?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.