Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed >

Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed

Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I sighted my mine in at an inch or so high at 150 yards. It is dead on at 200 shooting at a 5 inch circle. I shot 3 shots and they were all within an inch of each other. It was a little windy to. I shot the Rem. 3 inch accutip. I found a site that has the shells for 11.99 per box if anyone wants it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

My buddy used Leupold bases and rings:

55741 for the bases
49904 for the rings He went with the high rings to ensure no contact with the scope when ejecting shells

bb
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Spike

Thats good shooting. I have been toying with a Sav 210F and will buy the 220F in the next 6 months.

Complete with bedded action and barrel, comb riser kit, accu trigger, bolt lift kit w/new extended bolt, VXII 3X9X40, Leupold quick detach rings, flushed mag well.... Shooting the Rem 2 3/4" Core lokt ultras and accu tips the best.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage 220F

There is a lot of drop at 200 yards, I did shoot a few shots at 200 and if I remember right they were perfectly inline but just low, I didn't measure but I'd guess under a 2" group. Personally I'll likely never hunt out to 200 yds with the 20 ga...

I used the EGW base that is made for this gun, gives lots of adjustment. I would never mount a scope high, I always try to mount them as close to the bbl and in your line of sight as possible. I lopped the front part of the base off (it's pointless to me) and used a Low Burris Zee Ring, to hold the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. I was able to get the scope back far enough, low enough and have never had any ejection issues.

As far as what I paid, I'm going to be honest and say I don't remember.. But I'm pretty sure it was in the mid 400 range, was just retail price.. Hard to find so I didn't argue..

Last edited by demoIL; 10-11-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Spike

I havent been on these forums for years, but just recently decided to finally by a slug gun (been using my ml for all of gun season). Which brought me back to this site for reviews. The top two I'm thinking about are the 220F Savage and the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20ga. I might start another thread but for now just soaking up all the info I can find.

This thread has focused mainly on the 220F. What were your thoughts on the H&R?

Sounds like the accuracy your getting between the two are very close, and both sound very capable deer guns. To me they seem on equal grounds except for the 220F having 2 more shots for about a $150 more. I want to like the Savage better but right now it might be more of a $ issue for me. How does the quality and fit and finish of the H&R compare? I noticed its a tad heavy... any concerns there?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the H&R Ultra Deluxe in 20ga. topped off with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, using Hornady SST Slugs, this shotgun is a tack driver, yes it is much heavier then the Savage, but then I sit in a treestand so weight of the gun isn't that much of a problem, the finish/stock on mine is great, no problems. I'm buying the Savage 220F soon, I did shoulder the gun at my local shop, the bolt is smoother then I thought it would be, the stock is very toy like to me, but that is the least of my problems, I will be topping off the Savage with the same model scope I have on my H&R. As far as which one is better, I don't know, the way my H&R shoots I can't see the Savage being alot better maybe alittle better if that, but at least the same. I'm in no rush to purchase it, and really I don't even need it, I just want it. If money is a issue then get the H&R and put a good quality scope on it
Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The accutrigger is a huge plus for the 220F! My H&R trigger was heavy out of the box, there is a way to make it lighter and mine is good now. But just the fact that you can easily adjust the savage at home is a plus.. And with that being done it's safe and has no creep..
Have heard of issues with the H&R misfiring, stocks coming loose and scope mounting holes being drilled off center.. With that said the one I bought is fine but I usually check all of that kind of stuff anyway. Mine is really accurate and with a little extra bench time I would not be surprised if it outshot the savage, but it is very close either way and currently the savage has the upper hand on groups.

I feel like the H&R is a really accurate but heavy slug gun that may have a couple issues that are easily overcome. I feel that the savage 220F is a rifle that just happens to shoot 20 ga. slugs.. lol Plus I was able to mount my scope much lower on the savage which is more in my line of sight and more comfortable.. So as you can tell I love both guns but I have to give the upper hand to the savage.. Not because you get an extra slug in the box mag but more for the reasons above..

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Spike

Thanks bowhunter and demoil for the responses.

I Think it may boil down to what I can get and price. I could borrow the scope off another gun to save a bit and get the Savage, and then a new scope next year perhaps. But havent ruled out the H&R either. After some more searching and reading here is what I have to compare...

Savage:
+slightly more accurate (though for deer hunting either seem great)
+accutrigger
+lighter (alot of my hunting is drives)
+2 more shots
+savage longer history of quality
-I think a ~$500 gun should have something avail other than plastic. Whatever happen to guns made out of nice walnut?
-a bit more pricey (but probably worth it)

H&R
+love the thumbhole laminate stock option!
+save a few bucks, maybe get a better scope
~nearly as good accuracy
~dont really need the extra shots
~extra weight might help with recoil?

Would there be much difference in recoil between the two with similar rounds?

Any other pluses or minuses anyone has for either?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

bull barrel helps with accuracy, and the weight helps with recoil, then the 20ga. really has little recoil
Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
bull barrel helps with accuracy, and the weight helps with recoil, then the 20ga. really has little recoil
I figured this, but how does it compare to the savage? I've not shot a 20 guage that I can recall, and I've never shot sabots before in a shotgun but I figured the sabots would be more equal between 12 and 20 than slugs. I guess its all moot anyhow if the 20's dont have much kick anyhow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.