HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Savage and H&R Slug Guns, impressed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/329636-savage-h-r-slug-guns-impressed.html)

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-18-2010 02:10 PM

I would compare a 20ga. recoil to that of a .50 muzzleloader, really nothing.

ol eagle eyes 10-20-2010 07:20 AM

Well it may still depend on availability but I think I've decided on the H&R 20 USH if I can get the thumbhole laminate stock. Thats two things I have always wanted and never had yet - a thumbhole stock and a laminate stock. The Savage comes in either black or camo plastic, had both, just cant get over the cheap feel of plastic. I can't beleive they dont have something else for it for such a nice quality gun. Maybe some 'aftermarket' company should make stocks for em...

Parrot Head 10-21-2010 03:47 PM

Just picked up 3 inch accutip for 11.99 per box at ables ammo if anyone needs any.

Parrot Head 11-22-2010 03:03 AM

I put the Savage to the test Sat. I dropped a doe at 220 yards with the new toy.

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-22-2010 04:46 AM

Damn Parrot what a shot, congrats...what ammo and size are you using?

Parrot Head 11-22-2010 05:59 AM

3 inch accutip from Remington, if you can find them

ol eagle eyes 11-23-2010 02:37 PM

Congrats, thats a long shot for a slug gun! Even with as accurate as these guns are how far do you all think they have enough energy? I wasnt figuring much more than 200 yards, but I just pulled that out of the air.

I shot mine today for the first time! Will take a little more practice to get my groups tighter, plus some other issues I'll post another thread about. If I dont exclude any of the shots that seemed further then they should, my max pattern at 100 yards was about 4" but I feel like most the shots were sub 3" which better corresponds to my first two groups at 50 yards that were a tad of 1". Some room for improvement but plenty good for a 100 yard deer gun for now, and the season is next week for us.

What do you all recommend for lubing the action? I have some remmington dry lube spray is that good stuff? Want to make sure to keep this one in tip top shape, hope it will be my slug gun for life.

Bucktail_Bob 11-23-2010 03:37 PM

I am hearing rumors Savage is comming out with the 212f.
12 ga with the accutrigger. Will be at the Shot Show.

bb

nysmoker 11-24-2010 03:11 PM

Guess that answers my question ...." why is everybody only talking about 20 gauge?".

Parrot Head 11-29-2010 04:55 AM

I will tell you this I could not any Rem accutip anywhere no one has them. I could only find Hornady. I could not get them to pattern past 50 yards. Even at that far it was horrible. So bad I got the ML back out. So shells do make a the difference.