Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Just purchased a Savage 220F slug gun, what's the word on it? >

Just purchased a Savage 220F slug gun, what's the word on it?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Just purchased a Savage 220F slug gun, what's the word on it?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

You buy a gun, then ask about it...?

It's a savage, they are great guns.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
I bought the gun to be able to hunt and shoot the length of two fields I hunt over. It is 201 yards to the end. Most shots are right at dark I wanted some power. I have a 3x9x40 on my ML and they look like ants when they come out that far away.
Shots right at dark huh. What's the EP on your 6-18 X 40 scope especially when using the higher powers? Obviously, you can do what you want but I'd NEVER scope that gun like that. Good luck anyway.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok.. I was going to start a thread on this gun but it seems enough people are asking about it already..

I bought one.. The ejection problem was modified and anything after Nov.09 is a new, corrected version.

I lapped the bolt in on mine cuz it was sticky but it's a newer version and I don't have any issues with it, gotta be mean with it though..

Anyway.. Some don't believe me but here it is..
My gun is topped with a Zeiss Conquest, 3-9x40. I am shooting the Remington Premier Accutip 3" slugs.

I am getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards!!! Off bags of course..
Now it will group at 200 but the drop on this slug is about 13 inches at 200 yards.. Anyway, good luck with your gun.. I have had a large number of slug guns and this one is the best shooting one yet..
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

What? Shots at dusk when light is fadding. You can use what you want and I can use what I want. Who cares.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Guy on another site built his own 30 inch bull barrell to put on the Savage. Have not seen the results yet.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Parrot Head
What? Shots at dusk when light is fadding. You can use what you want and I can use what I want. Who cares.
What he's saying is that those high powers, have Zero to do with your shots at dusk problem. and yep, you're totally right. You can do whatever you want haha.
-Jake
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Got to get some 200 yard shots through it Sat. It is about an inch or so high at 150 and it was dead on at 200.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
I'm also will be purchasing the 220F, placing a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on it. I hear that they have problems ejecting the shells, Savage says not to baby the bolt, also I hear the Remington Accu-Tip slugs seems to work best

Best of luck, and keep us all informed
Did you get it yet and how's it shoot?

Last edited by uncle matt; 09-27-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt, no I didn't get it, I'm in no rush as I have a few slug guns, and I love my H&R. I will have it by the end of the year, I have the scope for it already, Leupold VX-II 3-9x40
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

In low light conditions, such as dusk or dawn, high magnifications greatly reduce picture brightness and field of view.