Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 for deer

Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Definitely a death ray
Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

We get shots on hogs and yotes out to 500 or 600 but nothing past that, thats a helluva long shot. My adl will put the trouncin on a hog that far but I get the feelin most high velocity rounds will wish i could test my **** at those ranges
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

.243 is my only choice for a rifle for White Tail.
Attached Thumbnails 243 for deer-dscn14150242.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

243? for deer? seriously? PLEASE! Here is a picture of my deer rifle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pak40_parola_1.jpg Of course, I am a real man and can handle it.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

I also have a pre 64 .243 excellent rifle with 100 g bullet is awesome
Old 02-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
I've killed bison and water buffalo with a 22 mag, plus more'n 500 beef and countless pigs its all about shot placement
Butchering farm animals is a little different than hunting. Although what you say about shot placement is true. I could kill a mouse with a fly swatter but I prefer the right tool for the right job.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
.243 for elk? Really?
No way, .243's way too small for elk. The last elk I shot with a .375 H&H was dead on his feet, but still managed to run about 100 yards. Saving up now for a Barrett M82. Hope that's enough. Just wish they'd drop where I hit them like the first two elk I ever took. Wait, I took those when I was in college and had only had just two rifles to choose from, a .22 LR and a ... .243. Maybe this plan needs some re-thinking?

Elk? Yes, really.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
No way, .243's way too small for elk. The last elk I shot with a .375 H&H was dead on his feet, but still managed to run about 100 yards. Saving up now for a Barrett M82. Hope that's enough. Just wish they'd drop where I hit them like the first two elk I ever took. Wait, I took those when I was in college and had only had just two rifles to choose from, a .22 LR and a ... .243. Maybe this plan needs some re-thinking?

Elk? Yes, really.
Never said it couldn't do the job. But IMHO there are much better choices available. If using a .243 to shoot elk is your thing have at it. If I have the opportunity to ever hunt elk I won't go wondering if I brought enough gun.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
If I have the opportunity to ever hunt elk I won't go wondering if I brought enough gun.
And nor will I. The .243's certainly not the perfect choice for elk. But the amount of grief given it over deer-sized game is completely undeserved.

Whatever floats your boat though. I just hope you're not waiting for the opportunity to hunt elk because you don't feel you have enough gun today, or because you don't have enough saved up for a guide. Some of us don't use those, either.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
And nor will I. The .243's certainly not the perfect choice for elk. But the amount of grief given it over deer-sized game is completely undeserved.

Whatever floats your boat though. I just hope you're not waiting for the opportunity to hunt elk because you don't feel you have enough gun today, or because you don't have enough saved up for a guide. Some of us don't use those, either.
An elk hunt is my dream hunt. I'm a PA boy and don't know the first thing about elk hunting, I say that unashamed. Money is most definatley the biggest factor holding me back. My hardest decision to make if I ever have the chance to elk hunt is to take either my 7 rem mag or the 300 winny. Anyway,back on track, I wouldn't think twice using a 243 on a deer, in fact I'm getting one for my 8 year old boy for his first deer hunt this year. But as you said it's certainly not the perfect choice for elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.