Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
New fast bolt action rifle - who knows this? >

New fast bolt action rifle - who knows this?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New fast bolt action rifle - who knows this?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guarantee that I can shoot a pump faster than a straight pull bolt action. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I learned to shoot skeet with my dad's 870. Teaches you to pump fast while staying on target. And anyone who says that they can shoot a straight-pull anywhere near as fast as a semi-auto is out of their mind.

Mike
Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by renegadelizard
From Chuck Hawks

"The fastest form of bolt action rifle is the straight pull action. The Canadian Ross rifle of pre-WW I fame was the first of the breed with which I am familiar. Such rifles have never been popular because they usually sacrifice too many of the bolt action's virtues (camming action on extraction, controlled feed, simplicity of design) for a fairly minor increase in speed of operation. The straight pull bolt action is still slower than a lever, pump, or autoloading rifle."
I just read something on the early Ross rifles where a few of them malfunctioned and sent the bolt flying straight back into the face of the shooter causing severe injuries (burying the bolt into the side of your face)due to the nature of the locking mechanism.Its much more complicated than a simple locking lugs bolt action. Thats pretty much why they never took off and were relegated to rimfire power levels where the potential for injury were less devastating. Firearm owners have very long memories. Not saying they aren't safe as they are really nothing more than a autoloader operated by bolt so probably just as safe. Whatever floats your boat. Take care.

Last edited by nyorange; 02-27-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: saw video
Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

It is obvious in the pic that the shooter is only trying to rattle off shots as quickly as possible with the gun, with no regards to the target. With the loss of positioning on the gun all shooting form is lost. my thoughts are the whole purpose with a bolt (or any gun) is to hit the target with the first shot. Anything after that is just noise.