Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7mm WSM VS 7mm rem mag

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Much Ado About Nothing

I never saw the value of the short magnums. It was just re-inventing the wheel. The ballistics I have seen are not different enought to mention and the so called "weight savings" is minimal.

It simply gave the gun manufacturers something new to sell. If you did not have the parent cartridge, one was as good as the other in a new rifle. For those that had the parent cartridge, there was nothing to be gained by buying one. The short action myth is just that. A couple of ounces? Who cares?

In light of the cost of ammunition, I see the short magnums disappearing in favor of the original cartiridges. Why pay more for nothing?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big Bullets,

Welcome to the forum !

I've see a few of your posts & I like the way you think.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
I never saw the value of the short magnums. It was just re-inventing the wheel. The ballistics I have seen are not different enought to mention and the so called "weight savings" is minimal.

It simply gave the gun manufacturers something new to sell. If you did not have the parent cartridge, one was as good as the other in a new rifle. For those that had the parent cartridge, there was nothing to be gained by buying one. The short action myth is just that. A couple of ounces? Who cares?

In light of the cost of ammunition, I see the short magnums disappearing in favor of the original cartiridges. Why pay more for nothing?
I bet the same thing was said about the 308 win in the 1950's
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Sheridan. Great minds and all that........
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stapher1
I bet the same thing was said about the 308 win in the 1950's
Stapher1,

There is no comparison. The .308 was and is a military round and, as such, was bound to have an extended life in that role and thereafter as a surplus round. While is is not too different on ballistics to the 30-06, it has a life of it's own. The short magnums differ in minimal ways from the original round and cost much more. Where is the appeal?

Eventually, people who own the short rounds will fade waway and new buyers will see the wisdom of sticking with the parent round. You will see many inexpensive short magnum rifles on gun shops racks looking for new owners.

There is nothing wrong with the short magnum rounds. They just do not provide any special reason to buy them. I now see them an attempt to boost rifle sales.

If someone wants one, great but, they must be willing to pay more for the ammo and accept less availability as time goes on.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
Stapher1,

There is no comparison. The .308 was and is a military round and, as such, was bound to have an extended life in that role and thereafter as a surplus round. While is is not too different on ballistics to the 30-06, it has a life of it's own.
So your saying, nobody in the 50's that said there was no need for a 308 win when they got a 30.06. And didn't the 308 replaced the 30.06 as a military round. For the reasons you've just stated.

The short magnums differ in minimal ways from the original round and cost much more. Where is the appeal?
IF you buy off the shelf...yes, if you reload...no. My ackley cost way more to reload.
Eventually, people who own the short rounds will fade waway and new buyers will see the wisdom of sticking with the parent round. You will see many inexpensive short magnum rifles on gun shops racks looking for new owners.

There is nothing wrong with the short magnum rounds. They just do not provide any special reason to buy them. I now see them an attempt to boost rifle sales.

If someone wants one, great but, they must be willing to pay more for the ammo and accept less availability as time goes on.
After 10yrs and shelves full of used "old" school magnums at my local gun shops and other forums like this that either guys shoot competition or long range hunting with the short mags makes me doubt that. It's not like gun companies are making you get rid of your mag, it's that the short mag is another option if don't already have a magnum. Plus if that many guys were that worried about prices, then the weatherby mags would have disappeared.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default I beg to Differ

Originally Posted by stapher1
So your saying, nobody in the 50's that said there was no need for a 308 win when they got a 30.06. And didn't the 308 replaced the 30.06 as a military round. For the reasons you've just stated.

IF you buy off the shelf...yes, if you reload...no. My ackley cost way more to reload.

After 10yrs and shelves full of used "old" school magnums at my local gun shops and other forums like this that either guys shoot competition or long range hunting with the short mags makes me doubt that. It's not like gun companies are making you get rid of your mag, it's that the short mag is another option if don't already have a magnum. Plus if that many guys were that worried about prices, then the weatherby mags would have disappeared.
If you had a 30-06 in the 50s, there was no reason to buy a .308 due to their ballistic similarity. In fact, '06 ammo was surplus and cheap while .308 was commercial and relatively expensive.

You are correct but, most hunters do not reload.

The .308 replaced the '06 simply to make NATO ammunition common to all members. There was no other "benefit".

Weatherby is different because they have a true speed advantage if you feel that is helpful to you as a hunter.

In the end, some people just have to try the latest thing, or just want one of each or can afford to indulge wims. My postiion is that, if you look at real needs, it is superfluous to have both the parent and short magnum. I would rather spend the money on something entirely different to ad to my collection. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Big Bullets; 03-17-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: placement
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

That lame argument of "reinventing the wheel", "no need for a new cartridge when the old one works just fine", bla bla bla bla.

If companies weren't constantly coming up with new designs and marketing them we would all still be hunting with flint tipped spears and driving model A's. We wouldn't even have gun powder.

So save that BS argument and be dang glad that we have such a variety of cartridges to choose from and own.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

".....be dang glad that we have such a variety of cartridges to choose from and own." Bulls

We do & there will be many more to come; and we all choose which we prefer to buy and use !

Some cartridges come into fashion and then a decade (or two) later just fade away.................your call ???
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Engage the Brain

Originally Posted by bigbulls
That lame argument of "reinventing the wheel", "no need for a new cartridge when the old one works just fine", bla bla bla bla.

If companies weren't constantly coming up with new designs and marketing them we would all still be hunting with flint tipped spears and driving model A's. We wouldn't even have gun powder.

So save that BS argument and be dang glad that we have such a variety of cartridges to choose from and own.
I never said that there was "no need for a new cartridge" I said that if you are going to bring one out, it should have something unique to offer. The short magnum offers nothing new. Hey, if you want one, buy one! But, if you have the original, what new capabilities have you gained? Same ballistics=same capabilities. Maybe you have different stock or barrel design. If that is worth the money to you, by all means; it is your money.

Extending the argument to cars is a specious attempt at making your point. However, since you brought it up........since the mid seventies, car prices are around 7 times higher for the same or less capabililities. Would you like to extend that "benefit" to firearms?

Now, before you get all angry, think about it before you reply. All I ask is some thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.