Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions? >

Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions?

Looking for something to have with me all of the time. I have a G23 but it just seems to be a hassel so far to keep with me all of the time and I have a problem with printing when I sit.

Im looking for an actual pocket gun that is easy to carry all of the time. I havent shot but have dry-fired a LCR and it seems to have a great trigger of a DA only gun and feels very good in my hand.

I can not find any store in my area that has the 442(or 642) in stock.

Anyone own a LCR or 442 and can give an opinion on either?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a S&W 422. Acurate as hell but it wouldn't be my choice for a CCW. Mine is a 6 inch barrel target model with adjustable sites and walniut grips. If you really wanting to use a 422 I'd stay with the 4 inch model. If we were able to CCW here in Illinois my choice would be my H&K USP 40.

my 422

Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions?-s-w422-6-.jpg

My H&K

Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW-opinions?-h-k-usp-40-5-.jpg
Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have any experience with either gun you asked about but am curious on your printing issue. Is your G23 printing because of length and height or just width? If you're looker for smaller height and width, you might look at a G27 subcompact which could use the G23 mags if needed. If you're looking for a smaller width, there are some 9mm autos that are pretty thin. If you're set on a revolver, Ruger also makes an SP101 snubbie in .357 that is pretty similar in dimension to the 2 revolvers you're looking at and shoots very well. I used to carry one in an ankle holster as a backup for a while and eventually transitioned to a G27 in a vest holster for concealment and backup. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Ruger LCR .38 special, I bought it for a back up ccw I really like it, and like you said it has a great trigger. I carry it in a vest pocket and you really can't feel the weight at all, very light and it's pretty accurate 10 to 15 yards. I only wish I had a Crimson Trace laser on it.
Sorry I can't help you with the S & W 442 never shot or carried one. I do have the Ruger SP101 .357 But the LCR is much lighter in weight and conceals much easier.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The printing mainly happens sitting down. Since I am a "robust fellow" my waist line is curved so the hand tends to stick out a bit especially when I sit. Its possible Im wearing it wrong though, I am no expert on holstered CCW weapons.

I work in MD so I cannot carry all day(well not legally) so to go home and belt up the holster just to go out for a bit gets to be cumbersome. I just want something that can make this much easier and not wear on a belt hoster, especially in the warmer months. Even with a sub-compact non-380 auto they seem a bit to bulky to be true pocket guns.

Thanks for the info on the LCR. I was debating on laser or not. I like the feel of the non-lasered grip better but realize the advantages of the laser so I may just suck it up and go Crimson Trace with it.

Be nice if I could shoot one with and without the laser grip. Just feeling them in the store isnt the greatest.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

No matter what gun you choose take a look at CrossBreed IWB holsters.
A great holster for conceal carry. Very comfortable and conceal nicely. I have a whole box full of holsters for different CCW guns and it's by far the best in my opinion.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Last edited by Walleyefever; 12-10-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

also check out the ruger lcp, it may fit your needs.....it works well for me, especially in an ankle holster.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't personally own either but sell both, handle both every day, and have shot both several times.

Get the 442 or 642. It is slightly smaller over all, has a smaller grip, weighs the same, and thinner..... all this adds up to being easier to conceal. It is small enough to fit in your pocket with jeans on but would be a little big for shorts unless they were the cargo type. With shorts like a swim suit it would show.

Other serious conceal options would include....
keltec P-3At
Keltec P9
Ruger LCP
Kahr PM series
NAA 380
Springfield Armory EMP
Bersa Thunder 380CC
Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Spike

Looks like a couple of people beat me to the punch on recommending the LCP. If you're looking for a small, light pistol for simplified concealed carry from a "big name" company, I don't think you can go wrong with the LCP. The only drawback there MIGHT be if you're not a fan of the cartridge, or in many cases, the availability of ammo. It's scarce in my area, not sure about yours.

Josh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.