Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
New deer rifle for my 8 year old? >

New deer rifle for my 8 year old?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New deer rifle for my 8 year old?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I have used both, the .243 has more.
I also have never seen a .22-250 shoot 4200 fps
more like 3750 with a 55 gr,
3300 with a 70 gr
a .243 shoots a 55 gr to around 3950,
an 85gr to around 3350
and a 100 gr to around 3150
you do the maf.

i already did the maf smartazz...try the 45 grain...then go 4letter werd urself
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i already did the maf smartazz...try the 45 grain...then go 4letter werd urself
I looked, didnt find a 45 that fast either, 40 gr and 36 gr. did
You going to compare a 40 gr bullet to a 100 gr and tell me the 40 has more power than the 100.
that only 800 ft/lbs of energy at 200 yds the .243 has more than that at 500 yds
A 40 gr at 4200 fps will have about 6" of penetration on tissue, if that.
40 gr 'ers are varmint grenades. Not deer or hog bullets.
Im sure theyll work on the noggin, but not on a double lung.

Looks like you need a refresher course in maf

Last edited by zrexpilot; 11-25-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both, the .243 has more.
I also have never seen a .22-250 shoot 4200 fps
more like 3750 with a 55 gr,
3300 with a 70 gr
a .243 shoots a 55 gr to around 3950,
an 85gr to around 3350
and a 100 gr to around 3150
you do the maf.

gotta listen to zrexpilot he knows all hes a legend within his own mind a real authority on guns................. Im surprised he's not suggesting a 22 hornet as the best deer load ever...............

I've exceeded 4,200 fps with several handloads in my 22-250...

But I would probably also favor the 243 as a first deer gun but it may still have a little more recoil than what an 8 year olds mentality can handle at that age ive noticed kids to be real shy of the slightest recoil. I would honestly probably keep him on a .22 and squirrels a little while longer and slowly introduce him to centerfire with a .223 let him shoot it awhile let him get used to increased muzzle blast without the recoil before you bump up to a 243. when you do get a 243 you may feel pressed to get a handi rifle first but they tend to be pretty light and dont absorb much recoil and could actually do far worse harm to your childs shooting skills than what a quality bolt action would do to your wallet. I would look at the Howa rifles they currently offer a two stock package a youth stock and an adult stock in the long run it is a better investment he'll have a rifle that will work for him as a youth on to his teens and adulthood with just a swap of the stock not a whole different rifle. just my 2 cents hope it gives some good insight.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked, didnt find a 45 that fast either, 40 gr and 36 gr. did
You going to compare a 40 gr bullet to a 100 gr and tell me the 40 has more power than the 100.
that only 800 ft/lbs of energy at 200 yds the .243 has more than that at 500 yds
A 40 gr at 4200 fps will have about 6" of penetration on tissue, if that.
40 gr 'ers are varmint grenades. Not deer or hog bullets.
Im sure theyll work on the noggin, but not on a double lung.

Looks like you need a refresher course in maf

I agree his math is all 4 lettered word up...halfbaked needs to put down the pipe for a minute so his brain can work....
Old 11-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm looking hard at the Rossi Trifecta 22/20/243. Does anyone know if the .22 barrel is tapped for a scope? I have a whole year to work with him, he really wanted to go this year but I just felt mentally he wasn't ready but I want to start really working with him. For all those that have used the Rossi, is it soemthing that will hold up over time if well cared for? I've got a 2 year old and the plan is to keep this set up around for when he's ready.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm looking hard at the Rossi Trifecta 22/20/243. Does anyone know if the .22 barrel is tapped for a scope? I have a whole year to work with him, he really wanted to go this year but I just felt mentally he wasn't ready but I want to start really working with him. For all those that have used the Rossi, is it soemthing that will hold up over time if well cared for? I've got a 2 year old and the plan is to keep this set up around for when he's ready.

A friend loaned me a Rossi in .243 for my 10 year old son. Not a bad rifle but I can tell you this....we had 2 light primer strikes on a 60 degree afternoon last week. I'm not sure if it was the ammo or the rifle.....it looked to me like it was over oiled.....after a thorough cleaning it has been fine, so I can only assume it was the oiling problem. Just concerned me as it was a warm afternoon.

The Howa package that High Desert Wolf recommended is a good deal.....however the Weatherby Vanguard(same thing as the Howa) is also available in that same package and may be easier to find. Atleast it is in my area.

A Remington 700 SPS Compact and the Model 7 youth are also available.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

22-250 more powerful than a 243 Win? Only in a drug addled mind. A word to the wise, don't trust the math of someone who can't spell "math."

Just FYI, when you're typing a post, and a little red dotted line appears under a word you've just typed, that means you've misspelled it. It's so simple, even a pothead should be able to figure it out.

Mike
Old 11-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to both Remington and Savage rifles. A Remington Model 700 Youth or a Savage youth model. As a "grow-up" rifle, I'd lean toward the Remington, as it'll be a lot easier to find a new stock when he grows up and needs a longer length of pull. Replacement stocks are few and far between for the new centerfeed Savages, and a lot of stock makers just don't retool for Savage because they have a tendency to change their actions a little bit every few years making prior stock inlets incompatible. The Model 700 action has been virtually unchanged for decades, so aftermarket "drop-in" stocks are readily available.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 11-26-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf
gotta listen to zrexpilot he knows all hes a legend within his own mind a real authority on guns................. Im surprised he's not suggesting a 22 hornet as the best deer load ever...............

I've exceeded 4,200 fps with several handloads in my 22-250...

You telling me you get 4200fps out of a 55 gr or 60 gr bullet out of the .22-250
cause were talking deer and hogs here. Not foxes

I would stay away from the Rossi, the H&R or NEF would be much better.
We used a Rossi the other day and it failed to fire 7 out of 20 rounds and sprayed a pattern.
I used one a year back and it shot good. Seems like a hit and miss with it.

Last edited by zrexpilot; 11-26-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Tri-fecta package that I picked up for my son has worked fine. I cleaned it pretty well before we shot it. It is drilled and tapped for a scope and even comes with a Weaver scope mount already affixed. I wouldn't call it a tack driver, but it will group pretty descently for a short barreled rifle. No hang fires or misfires on our gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.