Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
If you could only have 1 deer rifle. >

If you could only have 1 deer rifle.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

If you could only have 1 deer rifle.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool Hard to choose

Really, any of the guns you mentioned should work fine in the scenario you described. Ground blind/tree stands usually mean less rushed shots, IME. Lever guns would be great for still hunting/driven deer and quick follow up shots.

I'm gonna say Remington 30/06. Closest to my favorite rifle. Remington 600/700s have always been great shooters for me, and very strong. When I used to hunt with a gang, doing or setting up drives, I used to get some flat out fast running shots. In that situation, I liked the power that the 06 delivers to anchor a deer with a less than perfect shot. Picking a shot from a stand or blind, most any caliber will do because you should be able to put your shot right in the heart/lung area. Maybe just buy all of them and hunt enough to see which is your favorite.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the Rem 700 in 30.06!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

thats an easy one, remington 700 30-06. its an all around rifle.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

This is over a year old, SO WHAT DID YOU BUY???? lol.

Since he's shooting from blinds and treestands, I'd guess it's a smaller, private piece of land, so he's not walking a great distance. Fast snap shots also on not his priority. I'd pick whichever could be had with a med heavy barrel so that it was rock steady aiming. Put a lighter scope on it to cut a little weight you added with the barrel and make sure it has nice pointing balance. It's real easy to miss with a light wippy barrel. I wouldnt go overly long on barrel length either. Easy to run out of room in a blind, and branches could be a problem in a stand. You may not always have a rail or tree trunk or be able to use those shooting sticks, so get the one that points the best and holds the steadiest. Caliber is the least of your worries, they all work. There's alot to be said for the less punishing loads.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Spike

Browning A-bolt 30-06 lol 2" groups at 100yards with 180gr. Remington core-loct
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Spike

But a 12 gauge Remington 1187 with a rifled slug barrel and a 3-9 power scope would be sweet to.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

your asking a question which is kind of reduntant,all those calibers would work under those circumstances.which one do you want to use?why ask us?