Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New Gun Already Shot?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you know those manufactures that include the target with the 1" MOA guarantee, we all think so highly of ?

Which gun do you think the target should come from ?

Now, you would think they would clean the barrel up a little better afterwards !
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

Most remingtons, bushies, winchesters, savages, rugers, TC's, knights, Smiths, berrettas you name it I have bought had a bunch of cosmoline or creosote in them, no copper fouling. But I bought a new Sako 75 about 5 years ago, and had all kinds of copper fouling. Called the guns shop and he said it was from test firing.

Its been a good gun, but first time I cleaned out all that copper.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ndncreek
SORRY MY BAD i checked with my local police dept. and they said that the firearms makers only test fire and DO NOT send the spent bullet to the FEDS, again my bad...

If this had a chance to be accurate can you even imagine how busy 'shotguns' would keep the feds.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it's a Federal law that gunmakers must test fire all guns before shipment and put proof marks on them. I know Ruger and I'm sure most other Mfgs use a special test ammo that is loaded to higher pressures then what's available to the general public.
My thinking it's possible the higher pressure cause more copper fouling.

Last edited by Ruger-Redhawk; 04-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Spike

first shot through a factory barrel with any ammo causes a good bit of fouling but I wouldn't think that fouling would make it to the customer
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive never, ever seen copper fouling in a bore from a NEW gun....

not to say one couldnt slip through....but other key places to look...magazine (brass rubs off often times) feed ramp, bolt face, bolt etc...

i carry a flashlight...hard to inspect a gun without one if you cant break it down...

the shop owner told me my 7600 i just bought was new...it looked new but ive seen 50yo guns look new too...but i had to run the flashlight over it...he looked at me like i was nuts....but i determined it was new...key give away is usually factory grease in the action and such...and no fouling anywhere..

also, without a box and manual and everything that is supposed to be in that box, i will not pay NEW prices...thats the thing about buying a new gun...you can go down the road and get the same gun for right about the same price...its easy to pass off a really clean gun as new...i could still sell my 7600 as NIB...but ive had over 50rds through her...only thing that might get me is my base might have put marks on the reciever...

gotta be careful when buying guns...they dont have an odometer like a car..
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cleaned 2 "new" rifles this week to get the oil & grease out of the barrel before shooting.

One was a stainless Marlin .308 express and it only took a few patches to get clean.

The other was a Savage stainless fluted in .308 and it was alot dirtier on the inside, probably 8-10 patches to get clean.

No copper fouling though.....