Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New Gun Already Shot?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

all new guns have 1 round put thru it for the federal goverment. so if you shoot someone then they already have a bullet shot thru your weapon to compare it to.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Inactive

Ndncreek, I think you have been reading to many "urban myths".
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Handguns are shot and the spent case is included with the gun to turn in to the local enforcement agency if the law requires it. Has nothing to do with the bullet.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

each gun has it's own finger print being the bullet. no 2 guns shoot and leave the same markings on the bullet. therefore like you being finger printed all new guns sold have a bullet shot out of it for the ATF which is your guns finger print. also you recieve the spent shell casing in a baggie and they get the spent bullet. ask your local law enforcement if you don't believe me
Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

relentless pursuit just curious as to who you are calling HER?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

All guns are proof fired with a higher that standard pressure proof load at the factory before they are boxed and shipped. This is to make sure that there are no unseen problems that would result in the gun blowing up the first time you shoot it. Proofing is standard practice for all smokeless arms in the U.S. and Europe. Some manufacturers even shoot a group with each rifle to test the accuracy and send the target with the rifle. If you use the standard that a fired gun is a used gun, then all smokeless cartridge arms are used before they ever hit their shipping box. Muzzleloaders, on the other hand, go to the consumer unfired. The only exception being the Savage 10ML-II, but it is the exception as Savage Arms voluntarily chooses to proof fire them but is under no specific obligation to do so.

Mike
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ndncreek
each gun has it's own finger print being the bullet. no 2 guns shoot and leave the same markings on the bullet. therefore like you being finger printed all new guns sold have a bullet shot out of it for the ATF which is your guns finger print. also you recieve the spent shell casing in a baggie and they get the spent bullet. ask your local law enforcement if you don't believe me
I do believe your mistaken, I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey. The firearms laws are only 1/2 a step less draconian than California. There is no requirement that the bullet be supplied to the police. That would be the same thing as establishing a database of gun owners. Which is illegal in all 50 states. Not to mention the fact that it would be worthless if any changes had been made to the firearm.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the Remington 710 that I bought new years ago there was even documentation with it that said that it had been test fired before being shipped. The same with the Springfield XD that I bought.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

SORRY MY BAD i checked with my local police dept. and they said that the firearms makers only test fire and DO NOT send the spent bullet to the FEDS, again my bad...
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Spike

I know they test fire, but I have NEVER heard of copper fouling in the barrel at the time of purchase. I'm thinking your local shop owner let somebody test fire the rifle. I would shoot it once then run a patch through the bore. see how blue it turns. most new factory barrels foul pretty bad for the first few shots during barrel break in, then they take longer and longer before they become fouled. not a foolproof method but you may get an idea. then again if its a real shooter and the throat and rifling look new you may be better off to keep it as you might get an unfired gun that won't group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.