Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thompson Encore???

Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

So if a rifle doesnt hold a 2 inch group its automatically the rifle????? Hmmm...seems to me there are many many more varibales to it then just that...ie...ammo...shooter....scope. I shoot fairly well and I have handed guys my rilfes that shoot well and watched them not be able to hold a 2 inch group...and in turn I have shot groups with "known to be junk guns".

Using your logic I guess all those Perrazzi shot guns that dont break at least 24 birds in a round a trap must be junk too?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shooter1966
So if a rifle doesnt hold a 2 inch group its automatically the rifle????? Hmmm...seems to me there are many many more varibales to it then just that...ie...ammo...shooter....scope. I shoot fairly well and I have handed guys my rilfes that shoot well and watched them not be able to hold a 2 inch group...and in turn I have shot groups with "known to be junk guns".

Using your logic I guess all those Perrazzi shot guns that dont break at least 24 birds in a round a trap must be junk too?
I was assuming someone knew it was the gun and not their skills that was lacking. All these people have offered ways to improve the accuracy of a T/C, my logic stands that it should not be necessary to do all of this to a $600.00 or more rifle to get it to shoot better than a 2" group. It's not a personal attack on anyone, it's calling out a flaw in a tool that has been over hyped and well marketed.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

All these people have offered ways to improve the accuracy of a T/C, my logic stands that it should not be necessary to do all of this to a $600.00 or more rifle to get it to shoot better than a 2" group. It's not a personal attack on anyone, it's calling out a flaw in a tool that has been over hyped and well marketed.
+1

Next time the urge comes on me to tinker with a gun I will go to a gunshow and get an old Remington 700 with a pristine bore. I will float the barrel, bed the action, put a quality scope on it and turn it into a <1 moa shooter for much less than the price of an Encore with a good scope.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default encore

I took a drink of the Kool Aid once and bought one......I was dissappointed....now I am an accuracy freak since going to sniper school in the army and I thought it wasn't very accurate compared to any other rifle and muzzleloader I have owned.....worst shooting gun in both forms I have owned.......buy a quality bolt action rifle from Savage or Remington and buy a CVA Elkhorn bolt action MZ or find any Knight MZ left on the shelf and you will be happier in the end....but if you want to look like a TV personality...go ahead.......pay some TV salary! Either way have fun.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Trying to make a MOA rifle into a sub MOA rifle is one thing, but having to tinker with a rifle that expensive to get it to shoot better than 2" seems crazy. To each his own, I'm just baffled by how many people do this with these guns.
Apparently either 'people' have less trouble getting them to shoot or lower standards...maybe both.
I have shot TC products for many years, never an Encore but plenty of G2s and Contenders. It is definitely a tinkerers gun and personally I don't mind at all....in fact I expect it anytime I purchase a new one. I call them winter projects. No different than the guy who goes out and buys a new Remington Mtn. rifle for $1000 and immediately replaces the stock with a $285 Ti stock for it I suppose.
I own alot of very accurate bolt guns and I own several TC carbine rifles that are every bit as accurate and in some cases more so. They do require a learning curve for shooting, handloading and rifle setup.

They are for some and they are definitely not for others.