Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Marlin 1894 for Indiana Deer Hunting??? >

Marlin 1894 for Indiana Deer Hunting???

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin 1894 for Indiana Deer Hunting???

Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=Bocajnala;3416338]^^ that post said it all. load up some good loads and start practicing. I've shot a few deer with a .44 mag lever just for something different, and all died withing 20 yards.
-Jake[/QU I have to agree that the 44 is a deer slayer. I cant give it any advantages over the 12g slugger other than recoil and cheaper ammo. I also agree that an encore would do you better than anything else yoj could have in a state with those restrictions. Glad it's not like that where Im from. I don't see any reason to put the 12g down for a 44mag but I would consider the encore.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 44 is just fine for deer, and will CERTAINLY be more accurate...and do so with less pain on your shoulder. And I'd consider it at least a 150 yd gun, especially if you load your own ammo and use the FTX bullets.

Remember, you will get more velocity out of a carbine than out of that same load in a pistol, and if you load your own you can typically use stronger loads than you would in a pistol.

If you look around, you can also find stronger legal rounds than the 44 although they aren't as flexible. For example the SoCom is on the list, and that is a BIG round.

If you really want more range than your shotgun, start hanging out on the blackpowder forum. Last year my muzzleloader took an Indiana buck at 200 yds, and the year before I took 4 deer in 20 minutes at 20, 180, 209, and 338 yds.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for all of the information. I will need to do a little more research and then some shopping. The .44 cal sounds like a good investment and another tool to put in the shed. There was one vote for the Blued over the stainless, any other comments or opinions on Blued vs SS? Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 1894 in .45 Colt. But I use loads from Buffalo Bore and CoreBon. I don't reload for this caliber. Only cuz I love the above two brands of ammo and don't have the dies for .45 yet.

As for distance and accuracy, with both the above loads, I get great accuracy out to 150 yards. I rarely shoot at animals out that far anyway due to my location. But the load I like is a 310 grain pill that puts out (according to them) 1325 FPS and 1150 Ft lbs at the muzzle of a 6 inch Ruger. With the Marlin's barrel, it should be in the range of 1425 and 1250 respectively. More than enough for deer at the ranges we're talking.

If you're still not sure, and want to switch to a lever action, try the 30/30. No one could argue it's effectiveness on deer.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default 41 Mag Marlin scoped

Haystacks,
Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]
I may have exactly what you are looking for?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

They';re great rifles. I used to have one for Cowboy action shooting in 357. If long range is what you're really looking for I'd go for a mL.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
I use the 1894 in .45 Colt. But I use loads from Buffalo Bore and CoreBon. I don't reload for this caliber. Only cuz I love the above two brands of ammo and don't have the dies for .45 yet.

As for distance and accuracy, with both the above loads, I get great accuracy out to 150 yards. I rarely shoot at animals out that far anyway due to my location. But the load I like is a 310 grain pill that puts out (according to them) 1325 FPS and 1150 Ft lbs at the muzzle of a 6 inch Ruger. With the Marlin's barrel, it should be in the range of 1425 and 1250 respectively. More than enough for deer at the ranges we're talking.

If you're still not sure, and want to switch to a lever action, try the 30/30. No one could argue it's effectiveness on deer.
Indiana is restricted to rifles chambered for straight-walled pistol cartridges. The 30-30 is not an option. There has been quite a demand for the pistol cartirdge carbines lately, I've have picked up one of those Ruger bolt actions in .44Mag if my ML didn't have such a nice ability to reach out and touch some bambi.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a blued 1894 Marlin 44 mag. I bought it a few months ago, and have a pretty good supply of Hornady Lever Evolution rounds for it. It definately makes a mess out of 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water at 100 yards, and shooting them freehand at that distance isn't a problem either. I will be toting my 44 around this fall, my buddy has a 454 Cassul lever action and we are seriously thinking about shooting our goats with them this fall!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Indiana is restricted to rifles chambered for straight-walled pistol cartridges. The 30-30 is not an option. There has been quite a demand for the pistol cartirdge carbines lately, I've have picked up one of those Ruger bolt actions in .44Mag if my ML didn't have such a nice ability to reach out and touch some bambi.

I was not aware of that. You know, for all it's BS laws on firearms, Kalifornia is really lenient on what you use for hunting. DFG here says if it's legal in the state, it's legal to hunt with. The only restrictions right now are minimum caliber size and this new stupid freakin lead ban in some areas (which will soon be the whole state and country if we're not careful).
Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 AM
DG1
Spike

You can use a bottle neck case as long it do'es not exceed 1.625". I am looking at taking a 445 supermag and necking it down to a .358 bullet using the 357/44 bain/davis chambering on my Encore. I have 2 -44 mags and a 460 S&W 18" encore barrel and shooting the 454 Casull round out of it.

I am going to shorten up the 460 S&W case to the 1.625 length and loading the 250 SST M/L bullet. If you are looking to get more out of the 44 mag have the chamber lengthened to the 445 Supermag and hand load the new 225 grain SST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.