HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   mossberg 935? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/300637-mossberg-935-a.html)

doublelung'em 08-15-2009 05:22 PM

mossberg 935?

has anyone here shot/used the mossberg 935? is it any good? i m looking at it. I want to upgrade from a pump gun to an autoloader.. will it cycle anything you feed in it? *from 2 3/4- 3 1/2* i ask that because i want a versatile gun as i hunt everything from rabbits to pheasants to ducks and geese.

And for those who like a different semi auto, what do you like? * i am trying to find a relatively "cheap" semi auto.

thanks for any input!

BOYWONDER 09-01-2009 05:48 PM

I got the same ? going on in my head too.

deke12ga 09-13-2009 02:24 PM

The 935 is not designed to cycle light loads. In fact Mossberg says to only shoot 3" and 3.5" shells in it. Yes some do cycle 2-3/4 dove loads but they are not designed to. My hunting buddy had one and shot it for about a week and the bolt broke in half, but his was one of the first ones. Another buddy has a flyway model and loves it and it has shot well for a few years now but it will not cycle 2-3/4" shells. The best 3.5" guns for light loads are the SX3 which I own and LOVE!!!! Browning Silver whcih is essentailly the same gun. The Beretta X2. I had a 11-87 supermag and it was a piece of junk. My wife has a Remington SPR 453 which is the same gun as the Baikal MP153 and its been a really great gun for her. Shoots 2-3/4 heavy dove loads all they way up to 3.5" shells. You just have to adjust the gas nut depending on what shells your shooting. Its somewhat a hassel but not terrible to do. Its also going to be the cheapest. You may can find a used SX2 which is an older variant of the SX3 or a Browning Gold for a good price and both should still do what you want. The Beretta's and Bennelli's are good guns too just overpriced for me.

PS: Its not my sale but theres a deal on a Browning Gold 3.5" in the classifieds on this forum...

smackem 01-19-2010 12:15 PM

Pretty much agree with deke12ga. Will NOT cycle 2-3/4", but despite some bad reviews if you oil and clean the gun religiously then it will make a good gun. I had problems with it in the past even with 3 and 3.5", but I noticed the fore arm retainer was busted and they shipped me a new one at no cost. I cleaned it really good and oiled it with break free clp and it performed as good as any this year waterfowl hunting.

jsb57 01-19-2010 01:38 PM

I have one and it shoots 2-3/4 trap loads with out a problem. I have never shot any 3-1/2 out of it. I have a slug barrel for it and shoot 2-3/4 slugs with no problems. It has never jammed on me I keep it clean and it shoots everything I have put through it. Full choke with #4 shot on coyotes out to 50yds.

thatmichhunter 01-20-2010 11:49 PM

Hunting buddy has one, loves it but it wont cycle light loads for rabbis and such, pretty much an expensive single shot at that point

Rebel Hog 01-21-2010 10:33 AM

My favorite is my BRN A-5 12ga and then my REM 1100.......

MO Archer 01-23-2010 01:38 PM

I just bought my son one of the newer Charles Daly 20ga Auto in matte black. One of the funnest shot guns I have ever shot. My son and I starting shooting clays and he was very successful hitting 4/5 almost every round with a skeet choke in it. He is 11 years old. It is a damn good gun for the $200 I paid for it brand new. Check out their 12ga auto, not sure about being able to shoot 3 1/2s in the 12, but they are worth a look for an all around auto gun for the price.