Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry Lever Action 22

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Henry Lever Action 22

What do ya'll have to say about this gun,Wal mart has one for$257.I'm gonna put a scope on it.I'm going to buy it before squirrel season (October 1). thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Since I really enjoy my Henry .22, I would say buy it. Smooth action, great handling gun. Had a scope on mine but didn't shoot too well. Took it off ( the scope) and problem solved, squirrels and gophers don't get too far.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lever Action 22

My favorite rifles are my lever action 22's. When a bunch of us shoot together we will have a dozen 22's on the table to shoot. The only two that are always being shot are my Marlin, and my Winchester.

I shot and handled a few of the first Henry 22's that were sold. So my opinion is probably biased. However if I wanted another lever action 22, I would pass on the Henry and save up for a Marlin, or possibly a Winchester.

I just did not care for the accuracy, and definitely the quality. I especialy hated the front sight set up. Since you are going to a scope the front sight might not matter to you.

I have been reading where a lot of people say the quality is improving. And that may be so. However there is probably a reason that the Marlin is considerably more in price. And I am pretty sure you would be very satisfied with the Marlin or Winchester. Just my opinion. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it were me do yourself a favor and spend the extra for a marlin or winchester. the quality is better. i had a henry lever 22. although it was accurate it had issues. they also use to cost under 150$. it was good for that price but if your spending more than 200$ get the winchester or marlin.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just gonna buy the Henry,anyone shoot CCI Stingers in a lever action 22?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
I'm just gonna buy the Henry,anyone shoot CCI Stingers in a lever action 22?
If you like it that's all that matters.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Henry. I like it. It shoots fine and functions well. I bought it several years ago, and I'm quite sure I paid well under $200.00 for it. I also recently picked up an excellent Marlin Golden 39A at a gun show. The extractor and shell guide were broken/missing. I fixed those problems and it has been functioning fine and shoots great also. The fit and finish on the Marlin far exceeds that on the Henry, but it weighs a lot more also, not forgetting the cost difference too. The Marlins and Winchesters are definitely going to rock your pocketbook a lot harder.
All in all, I think if you scope the Henry with some GOOD glass
you will be further ahead in the long run if you don't give a hoot about the finish on the action, and take reasonable care not to let it get scratched up too bad.
You will also want to try different brands of ammo in it to see what it wants to eat best...... There will be differences.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't (and the squirrels and rabbits)don't care what the finish looks like!All i wan't it to do is pop them squirrels and rabbits in the head!And a fairly quick follow up shot,and i want to git the lever action. thanks alot
Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

My dad has henry 22mag lever and its really accurate and the f&f is pretty nice also. Well worth the $$ IMO. I looked at a henry 30-30 awhile back and it was very well built also. They really are making better rifles these days
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish that the Wallmarts around here had guns. The Henry 22's that I have found around here are towards the upper end of $300 and just don't seem worth it to me. Shees, they want close to $150 for the lame cheapo cricket 22.