Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Well now what?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Well now what?

Anyone ever deal with repairs done by H&R?

Brought out my nephews brand new 12 gauge H&R USH to zero in the scope this past weekend and right away it will not eject the shell. In fact closing the action, which inserts the shell the last 1/4 inch or so required some additional effort. I could quickly and easily see that the ejector protrudes too far into the chamber by the clear indentation left in the spent shells when we manually popped them out with a rod.

Zeroing in the gun was A-B-C and after just a few sets of 3 shots with boresnaking between we had real tight groups.

So now what? IMO he should be able to bring the gun back to the shop and they should shoulder the shipping to H&R. I think H&R should also make sure this shotgun comes back with the scope zero intact.

Anyone?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with the sending back to H&R on their dime. Scope-wise, however, I'd remove it altogether (they will likely suggest the same) and take no chances. Once the gun is repaired and returned, just re-mount the scope and head to the range. Just my $.02.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

So now what? IMO he should be able to bring the gun back to the shop and they should shoulder the shipping to H&R.
Why should the shop pay for the shipping? They didn't build the gun. H&R did.

If you have a beef with someone paying for shipping it should be with H&R and not the shop. Too dang many people think that the local shop should foot the bill for anything that goes wrong with a product that they sell.

I know what you are going to say. They sell the products and they should stand behind the products that they sell. Well, if they manufactured the products that they sell then I would agree. The local shop could simply stop selling the inexpensive guns and sell only shotguns that cost $1000 or more so that if something does go wrong with one they would have enough of a profit to offset the rare problem with a gun.

Assuming you purchased the USH in walnut it should have come in somewhere around $250 and the shop made about $40 - $50 bucks on your purchase. And now you want them to foot the bill for sending the gun back and their profit goes down by about $15.

Do you think a shop can stay in business operating like this?

You purchased an inexpensive firearm and as with nearly everything sold these days you get what you pay for. The shop didn't force you to purchase it.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Why should the shop pay for the shipping? They didn't build the gun. H&R did.

If you have a beef with someone paying for shipping it should be with H&R and not the shop. Too dang many people think that the local shop should foot the bill for anything that goes wrong with a product that they sell.

I know what you are going to say. They sell the products and they should stand behind the products that they sell. Well, if they manufactured the products that they sell then I would agree. The local shop could simply stop selling the inexpensive guns and sell only shotguns that cost $1000 or more so that if something does go wrong with one they would have enough of a profit to offset the rare problem with a gun.

Assuming you purchased the USH in walnut it should have come in somewhere around $250 and the shop made about $40 - $50 bucks on your purchase. And now you want them to foot the bill for sending the gun back and their profit goes down by about $15.

Do you think a shop can stay in business operating like this?

You purchased an inexpensive firearm and as with nearly everything sold these days you get what you pay for. The shop didn't force you to purchase it.
Moving on from Introduction to Business Theory we will now go into Business 101.

First off I did not buy this one. I brought my nephew in and he bought it. But as I have bought several H&R USHs and many other guns from this shop and have done alot of business with them they can afford to stay in business by taking care of issues like this because it "comes out in the wash".

The shop has the established working relationship with H&R. It is easier for the shop, as an FFL, to deal with shipping issues. H&R can reimburse the shop much easier thru their established account.

It is called customer service.

Nevermind. I don't want to have to explain a foriegn language class too.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is easier for the shop, as an FFL, to deal with shipping issues.
No it isn't. People just have it in their head that it's easier. You ship the gun to the factory and they ship it right back to you. No middle man.

It has been my experience that the manufacturers take much better care of a customer with a problem with their products much quicker than they do the shops.

H&R can reimburse the shop much easier thru their established account.
Except that never do. I have never shipped a gun back for a customer and the store been reimbursed for shipping charges.

It is called customer service.

Nevermind. I don't want to have to explain a foriegn language class too.
I know exactly what customer service is.

It is telling the customer to come on in and let us take a look at the problem. If there is a problem with the gun we will handle H&R for you so you don't have to.

It's paying someone to log the gun in the books, to call H&R and sit on the phone for 20 minutes waiting on a person to answer the phone, explain what happened to the gun, get a RA#, then box up the gun in boxes the shop pays for, ship it to H&R. Then a couple of weeks later answer the phone several times from the customer wondering when the gun will be back and if we have heard anything, paying someone to call H&R again, pay them to sit on the phone for another 20 minutes, call back the customer and explain to them that they have received the gun and that they are working on it and we will call you just as soon as it hits the door. When the gun finally arrives back at the store paying someone again to unbox the gun, log it back in and call the customer. Once the customer comes in to pick up the gun pay someone to explain what was wrong with the gun or worse that H&R didn't find anything wrong and now listen to the now pissed off customer because it is somehow the shops fault that the gun didn't get fixed. and finally log the gun back out to the customer.

That is customer service, dealing with any and all of the headache so the customer doesn't have to. It isn't paying for shipping a warrantied product back to the factory. That is the customers burden.

Like I said, the shop did not manufacture the product. That is why there is a warranty with your firearm. Some companies will pay shipping both ways and some will not. Most will pay for return shipping but not both. It is usually written right in the warranty.

they can afford to stay in business by taking care of issues like this because it "comes out in the wash".
Yep, your right. The shop will just add it into the cost of the products that they sell so that everyone gets to pay a couple of dollars per firearm sold to cover any future shipping costs. It will come out in the wash of the pockets of every one that buys a gun.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll just wait for some replies from folks who aren't so sore on the subject.

Thanks for your time. I hope it didn't put you out too much.

Last edited by uncle matt; 07-27-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: rephrased
Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I do agree with dealing directly with H&R and I think H&R should deal with the shipping considering its a faulty gun wh ich is their messup. You shouldnt have to pay shipping for something that was sent to you bad. And I agree with removing the scope. Some places wont even take them in with a scope mounted. Might just be me but I usually have better luck dealing with a manufacturer than I do with the dealer as long as theyre a reputable manufacturer. Now if I did alot of bus. with the dealer youre referring to thenI might let them deal with it to save myself the hassle. Some are harder to deal with than others IMO. Good luck with everything, Ive never dedalt with H&R so I cant say much about theyre customer service.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Contact H&R toll free at (866)776-9292 to tell them whats up and make arrangements for them to cover return shipping to Ilion if need be.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NITEHAWKJS
Contact H&R toll free at (866)776-9292 to tell them whats up and make arrangements for them to cover return shipping to Ilion if need be.
That gun has already been shipped off by the gun shop to H&R. It's been a few weeks and still no word though.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

UPDATE

Heading over to the gunshop in a few minutes to pick his shotgun up. Just under 1 month turn around. Not bad at all.

I'll be sure to bring a dum-dum to check the ejection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.