Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Help with my 300 wby!!! >

Help with my 300 wby!!!

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help with my 300 wby!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Spike

Default Help with my 300 wby!!!

i have been doing some studying on the berger VLD bullets and im thinking of using them on my 300 weaterby mag. the problem is, is that im am kind of confused. i have been reading some articles that say you have to have to change the twist rate on your rifle for them to shoot accuratly. is that true? cause i don't want to buy them if they are not going to be very accurate out of my stock weatherby because if the normal twist rate. also, you can get the bullets in a 168 grain and a 185 grain bullet. does anybody know wich one would be a better bullet to shoot? would one be more accurate than the other? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

YOu should be able to shoot either out of your standard twist barrels...some barrels however don't like the VLD style of bullets no matter what weight or twist, personally I've never had much luck with them in a variety of calibers and multiple cartridges...NO ONE can predict what bullet, powder or primer combo will work in any gun, NO ONE, you must shoot them on paper to find out..there is no other method regardless of what anyone says on the matter.. that's have the fun of reloading anyway..and it's far less expensive than buying factory weatherby ammo for sure...a good ole' partition or X-bullet will kill any big game animal just as dead, and that you can count on..time tested.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd certainly lean towards the 185gr of those two, I see no reason to shoot less than 180gr out of any 300magnum, and the wby certainly can shoot 180 or 200gr very fast.

If that doesn't work a 200gr Accubond has a pretty high BC.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Spike

What Frank Said! +1 on the lack of accuracy for me in my Model 70 in 300Win Mag as well.

However you left out one key piece of information. What are you going to be shooting at? Deer size game, paper, or grizzy bears? That definitely has a bearing on using this type and what grain bullet.

As for the heavyweight bullets, I can see a good reason not to shoot a 200gr bullet in a 300Wby......RECOIL! That would likely make a person flinch a little and is way too much bullet for whitetails. I have a 270wby and have had 300 and 7mm Wbys as well. While both of the now traded Wby's liked bullets in the mid to light-heavyweight range....like your aforementioned 168's, neither shot as well as I thought they should even after a trip back to the factory, so, they went on to someone that wanted a Wby more than they wanted an accurate rifle.

That said, as Frank points out the only way to know is to try! See if a friend has some or a will split the cost of a box to try in his .308 cal. weapon. These seem to be doing well in .30-06's at moderate speed.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out
Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

A .300wby is going to give you a kick whether you're shooting 165, 180, or 200gr bullets regardless, unless I've been missing something over the years?

My .340wby whether shooting 200 or 250gr or 275gr kicks hard, to guess which load kicks harder would be splitting hairs, if I had to guess I'd say the 200gr kicked more than the 250, as it felt faster/sharper in recoil terms.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some older .300 Weatherbys used a slower 1-12 twist...if yours is such you may have trouble with stablization if you were shooting leadfree or heavy bullets for caliber. Bullet stablization is based on bullet length and not bullet weight. Longer bullets require faster twist rates, period, heavier bullets are often longer.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

1 IN 12 at weatherby velocity should stabilize any weight (or length) bullet in 308 cal. Shouldnt it?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

1 IN 12 at weatherby velocity should stabilize any weight (or length) bullet in 308 cal. Shouldnt it? The heaviset (longest) bullets may need a faster twist but I wouldnt think so in this case anyways.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WBY reloads

I load for a few WBY cartridges, and have loaded for several more over the years(257, 7mm, 300, 340).

For some reason all the WBY's I have loaded for preferred the heavy for caliber bullets. My conclusion was that since the WBY chambers have a bit of free bore to generate higher velocities, the heavier bullets had less jump to the lands, and I believe this is why they shot more accurately. However this is just my limited results. I do not know this to be a fact.

As far as VLD's are concerned. I have not loaded a lot of them, but the ones I have loaded preferred to be in to the lands. Since the lands on a WBY are a bit farther out I would suggest starting with the heavier bullets first. Hopefully you can get enough length and still use the magazine. However there is nothing wrong with a single shot.

I personally like the 200 grain Sierra's for my 300 WBY. I load them long and shoot the rifle as a single shot.

Just some considerations. Tom.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

1 IN 12 at weatherby velocity should stabilize any weight (or length) bullet in 308 cal. Shouldnt it?
Not true at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.